Has brouck #10

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chillybilly

Looks like your doing a fine job with that engine. Take it easy on the tea though or you will be up all night draining it out. Rof} Rof}

Cheers :)

Don

i will be sending a pic to Ray when its done ,could be a while!!

Well got on with the boring last night and i am pleased to say that i have managed 2.249 " with no detectable run in the bore so am pretty chuffed about that ,did it slow revs ,light cut with a sharp tool with nice rad on the cutting edge .

Have found a descrepency in the wall thickness on one the lower side of the bore however ,cant seem to find where it has come from though !!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
Everthing was bored from one end using the fixture made previous ,had a good measure up and all seems square so i am a little miffed .
Reckon there may have been an error in the marking out and due to the length of the job it has been exagerated a little .
ITS SO FRUSTRATING .........................

Life seems to have been set against any shop time recently ,i have been able to slip off in there for a few hours here and there though .

Have managed to get the 3 holes into the cylinder block the two opposed holes will be blocked off in due course they are the ways from the valve chest to the cylinder ,the single hole seen in the pics is the pressure inlet hole .

I have to now machine the slots in the valve face to permitt the movemrnt of the air into the cylinder via the valve chest ,and also the angled holes in the cylinder walls to allow the pressure into the cylinder .

Rumour has it the girls are off out on sunday ,so i hope to slip off into the shop and get that done ,watch this space ..........

Air way 1 .jpg

Air way 1  (2).jpg

managed to get in the shop this eve ,nice suprise :D

Got the holes and slots in the valve face ,pleased to say all the holes married up and didnt break through any walls .

Just need to add the two holes connecting the cylinder to the valve holes and this bit is done ,at least from the machineing angle ............

valve face.jpg

valve face 1.jpg

valve face 1.jpg

Well the master plan worked and i managed a good shop session today ,managed to make the nut to fit the lower cylinder cover which i got half made during last week .
Bored out some stock to fit the brass cap into ,soldered it all together ,then machined the brass and steel OD and face bored the hole for the piston shaft and parted off .

Bored out the softies then bored and threaded thee end ,bit of fiddling required and it all fits together YIPEE!! Might knock up the brass sleeve that fits within later if i can get a pass out ;)

cylinder lowere and seal nut.jpg

cylinder lowere and seal nut (2).jpg

cylinder lowere and seal nut (3).jpg

Been busy ,time for update.

Managed to get the material for the crosshead for a song ,downside was its the welded pipe .Also managed to pick up a 4.5" horizontal bandsaw ,got a decent lennox blade in it (thanks johnS) and i am dead chuffed .Was due to cough for a new one when this one came up .It is easier and safer to saw than part off some of these 3" steel bars then face them up in the softies .

Right buisness , cut length of pipe (on new saw :big:) clocked it in the 4 jaw ,skimmed the galvo off the exterior and cleared the weld and galvo from the bore ,turned a register on the end .Machined up flange ,with bore to take pipe register .angled the inner bore 20 deg to allow solder to fillet joint.Cut it off(on new saw :big:)

Silver soldered the 2 halves together ,no worries ,off for a brew while it all cools down.

Bored out the softies and cleaned up the od ,front face of flange,and took the bore to within 1mm of finish .

On with the 4 jaw ,didnt want to muller the end of the part so i cut a small lump of copper pipe split it and fitted on the end and clocked the part up jaws gripping on the copper band .Also found out part too large for my steady Grrrr ! Finish bored the sleeve nice and slow with sharp tool, once done skimmed the mating face of the flange to keep it square with the bore . Inserted a blank centre into the bore c drilled supported with the centre and skimmed the large dia of the flange .Job done went for a brew :)

Crosshead boring rough (2).jpg

Crosshead boring rough.jpg

Crosshead bore finish.jpg

next the lower cover needed finishing....Sawed it off (on new saw :big:) bored the softies skimmed it to length and turned the rear register,bored the piston shaft hole out to drawing Job done ,off for a brew .

then on with some drilling ,using tool made earlier with recess ,sat on cover plate register clamped and transfer dilled holes into cover,then used cover to transfer drill holes into crosshead flange cooking on gas now ,off for a brew .

lower cover drilling.jpg

new saw.jpg

Rear face top cover.jpg

lower cover driliing 2.jpg

Now the cylinder needs attention .

Need to get two holes drill through the wall to create steam passage .bit tricky .

Best plan i came up with was using my angle plate (gently nipped up )then the cyliner mounted on that .

Found position ,flatted the hole position with fc3 cutter then drill through ,guess what, it was cock on Yipee :big:
fitted small slot mill and machined the slot in place ,turned the cylinder round and repaeated for the other one Job don o.f.a.b.

Then test fitted it all together Looking something like i think ,its pretty big !!!!

Internal steam passage.jpg

Steam passage 2.jpg

Upper half bits.jpg

together at last.jpg

Managed to get some done over the weekend ,decided to machine the crosshead slots with the crosshead fitted to the cylinder to keep it all square and also give me something to hold onto .
Machined up a blanking plate with a centre hole for the open end to offer some support and gently milled the slots with a 3/8 endmill .
Also got the lower mount plate machined up and the columns so now i have something that looks like an engine instead of a box of bits .Got to say its very satisfying to have it put together on the bench ,and it all fits !!!!!!

Going to concentrate now on getting the crosshead in place and the piston shaft /piston in place ,get that sorted then start on the valve gear ....

Crosshead set up.jpg

cross head mill (7).jpg

cross head mill (3).jpg

married (5).jpg

Been busy with the crosshead shaft this recently .Squared the bolck drilled hole to connect shaft .threaded shaft ,turned register behind thread ,clocked and C/D 'd opposite end ,brazed two parts together .Clocked off register ,c/d block ,drilled hole for the link pin ,drilled holes to mount brass straight through (big mistake ) as due to the small dia the drill wanmdered on the far side of the block ,maening that one of the brass blocks will not fit properly :mad:

Mounted job between centres turned brass to size ,then turned shaft ,burnt the tool out ,got a major taper in the shaft :mad:

Decided to continue so that i could check the alignment between the bottom and top ends .Pleased to say it all ligns up well ,and runs fine using an electric drill and an "o" ring to turn it over .
Do still need to make a new crosshead shaft in the long run as this one is a bit "Shoddy"
Real pleasure to see it turning over though .............

Which bit next ??????? ;D

getting connected (2).jpg

getting connected.jpg

crosshead  shaft.jpg

Looking Awesome....Ray will be pleased! ;D

Dave

All been a bit slow since i managed to marry the two halfs together but there you go .
Have got on with the ecentric straps ,going to use a plain PH bush for these rather than the big money bearing in the drawing .

Plan is to shrink fit the PH blank into the strap and then bore them out from there.

Milled them as a pair on the RT ,did not really make the blank big enough however which did mean i had to make a sacrificial blank to saw them into two ,so in trying to save material i actually used muckh more . Ho hum ???

ecentric strap.jpg

ecentric strap (2).jpg

ecentric strap (3).jpg

Eventually finished milling the straps ,they took a few cups of tea to finish ...and some biccys .

Didnt leave enough to split them and there was not enough room to do them with a slitting saw,so hade to make a sacrificil arbour mount them on that then did them on the Horizontal band saw.good opertunity to have a brew ......

turned thr PB blanks and shrank them into the straps ,then mounted the straps in the softies and bored through the hole and faced both sides .I left the shoulder on the bush so that it can bare upon the side of the ecentric should that be required .

I had already made the eccentrics to fit a ball race and being as i would need some mega money for those i decided on the plain bush ,this has required me to remake the eccentrics .Should get them done by the end of the week ....should have a bit more movements in the engine then .

Does seem to be coming together now which is very pleasing :)

ecentric straps  with bushes  (2).jpg

ecentric straps and cams (3).jpg

ecentric straps  with bushes  (2).jpg

It's all looking quite good, Chilly!

What are biccys?

While I'm at it, what's a bacon botty? I know you didn't mention that, but I figure if you know what one is, there's a chance you know about the other.

Dean

Biccys = biscuits, preferably dark chocolate coated digestives from a personal point of view.

Bacon Butty = bacon sandwich. How it got the 'butty' name I've no idea, but no doubt there will be a suitable explanation coming forth from the cognoscenti.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thanks for posting that Dave....Wish my VanNorman had flood coolant....she could use it......Don't think the wife would approve though 8)

Got a boat to go with that engine yet? ;D

Dave

Reckon steamdave covered all the abreviations there !!

I like "jammy Dodgers " :big:

As to boats ,not really my thing ...Unlimitted class Hydroplanes possibly .

Engine is just a project ,gonna run the Lasses water feature in the garden with it ,probably on air or ofn .Just for fun ...

Might do a v twin next and find someone who has a boat with no engine LOL

managed to get some time in the shop over the weekend ,made a good start on the valve chest .This part is 1" thick so it takes some milling !

Blocking up the material took ages ...nuff said

To make things easier i drilled through at each corner of the slot and a couple of times in the slot ,at these kind of depths it really helped ,once the material was removed from the centre i cleand up the walls and brought them to size with an end mill and a decent finish .

I then set up and drilled the 12 holes to mount it all together.All this doesnt look alot for the time taken ,its all pretty big stuff ,good fun :big:

Next thing is to mark out the valve rod holes position and get it drilled out in the lathe and turn the gland and shoulder on the thin end .

Holding this is gonna be fun !!!!!!!!!!!!

valve chest (5).jpg

valve chest.jpg

valve chest (2).jpg

valve chest (4).jpg

Face Plate or Four Jaw.....Never underestimate either....they are marvelous!

Dave

Yeh ,was thinking 4 jaw ,faceplates can be a little troublesome in my experience with things as long as this,though tat would avoid the chance of closing inthe walls on the chest...................will give it some thought while at work tomorrow ;)

Back