Has brouck #10

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillybilly

Reaction score
Well work is underway ,making the bits that my material stocks will allow as this one takes some big lumps !!!!!!
Made the rod from 2 seperate bits then machined between centres then onto the mill for the remaining ops,using bearings i got around the shop where i can to keep costs down , Cut the large dia for the crank from a piece of 5" steel bar by hand as the lump i have is too small for any of the power saws i have come across ,hour and a hlf with a new blade ,Knackering !!!!! joined the web to the shaft then machined all surfaces between centres then transfered to the soft jaws for the facing ops across the webs ,milled the connecting pin hole before i joined the 2 pieces ,experince eh !!! Need to mark out the crank webs then get them milled and then the next bit ............................... 8)

rod blank.jpg

Crank 1.jpg

Crank 1.jpg

marking out the crank.jpg

marking out the crank.jpg

Anxiously awaiting the next progress update here.

Looking great so far! Thm:

Rick

Well the quest contiues all be it quite slowly ,Crank webs now milled ,though a smaller rad was used at the base of the web due to tooling issues.
Got all the 0.500 "plate cut yesterday so thats where the next part will come from .Good hour with a plasma cutter ,deep joy!!!

Need to get the lower chassis plate made next ,this with the bearing housings will allow me to start bolting some bits together ,and see a bit of progress.

The stratergy for procuring the 4" square lump is not going too well ,so i thinck that needs some thought dont want to find myself with an engine with no wooompf!!! :D

On the turning side got the flywheel in the lathe ready in the machine all faced up ready to be machined .Need some advice on keyway cutting using the saddle .Any one got any pics of the tool shape they do it with ???
biccy brew and garge now me thicks ................
;D

23082009127.jpg

23082009127.jpg

The crank is finished ,that was an epic !!!!!!!!need to do the base plates next i think ,got to grind all the flash of first from the plasma cutter :( pass me the grinder...............................

Well been busy,crank now on the base plate with the ecentrics made and in position ,they just need the lock screw holes drilling and threading next time the rotary is on the mill.
The chassis plate took some doing ,big as my ts mill will take i think,would get one laser cut next time i think took ages to mill the apertures for the crank and ecentrics.

Made the bearing housings as a pair which took much more setup but a better end result .

Have to decide where to go next with it now ,still struggling to procure the cylinder /valve chest material so that limits where to go a little.

Plan is to run the engine in the garden next summer running the lady of the houses water feature ,need to decide on the best treatment for the steel so as to prevent rust .Any advice much appreciated :)

crank maounted.jpg

crank maounted.jpg

crank monted 1.jpg

When complete it will stand 18" high.It has a 5" flywheel and 5" crank across web .
2.250" bore with a 3" stroke ,so its all pretty big for a little engine !!!Apparently it could make 2HP when complete ,that should cause some pretty serious "water feature action" :D

Dont think it will ever run on steam though ,it will require a fair size boiler !!!
Now need to find some 4" square solid bar for the cylinder which the rest of the bits marry up to .Getting material in these bigger sizes is a challenge i didnt see coming however !!!
onward and upward :big:

That will be a really impressive size when done. None of mine are taller than about 5". (Not that I have size envy) ;D

Check with onlinemetals.com for the 4" square stock. I have used them for items I could not find locally. They will cut to size without a minimum. Very handy.

Still slow progress ,have now split the bearing housing so that is the bottom end done !!!!! Busy making the tools that allow you to get all the holes in the cyliders in the right place ,ray strongly advises the making /use of the tools for accurate alignment etc ,so thought about doing it other ways but figured ray knows best ..
Watch this space ;)

Yipee!!! managed to get the 4"steel stock ,got a big off cut from local steel merchant ,good price too ;)Just need to get it sawn now and will be on the money .
The 2 tools which are used to manufacture the cylinder are nearly done .
Been blocking up the valve cheest material ,seem to spend alot of time blocking up !!!
Be nice to have a big mill with a shell carbide and just buzz it off !! Ho hum ..
Pics soon ................ 8)

got the 4" cut thanks "Richard 3rd " .Now on with cylinder production .

I suspect this may take a while .......................... ::)

I went to Ray's site and looked at the #10 and all the other engines as well.

Then I purchased the plans for #6. Something about that one spoke to me, so I'm gonna try my hand at making it. I hope my effort produces parts half as good as yours are looking Chillybilly. Thm:

Thanks to Blackvette for posting the site link that got me to spend my money, as well. :p

Sorry about the offtopic bit,
Kermit

Well production of the cylinder is under way ,the steel billet i got was seriously out of square ,so i gave it a whirl on the mill with a fly cutter ,quickly became apparent that this was not gonna be good so mounted inthe 4 jaw on the lathe and skimmed the faces that way ,measuring the error on the s plate and then using shim in the 4 jaw to correct the ,all done eventually and kept the non critical dims somewhere near plan !!!!

Next was to create the valve surface on the cylinder ,4.6mm requires off ,decided to do this on the lathe leavinf a bit on so that i can skim the face once all the other operations are done ,as i am bound to mark te surface if i go for finsh size at this point ,experience !!!!

Decision now is do i use the 2 tools made ,1 being to mark out the hole posns on the top and bottom of the cylinder and 2 to be drilled and screwed to the faceplate and the cylinder maounted too it and bored out .
Dont fancy drilling my precious face plate :eek:

My plan is ,mark centre on both ends using my 2 datum edges ,then clock in 4 jaw using cetreing bar ,drill and ream to suit dowel mount tool 1 on dowel and drill 8 holes for top cylinder plate .

Reverse in 4 jaw clock true agoins ,skim front face and then drill and bore out the holes for the lower cylinder plate are drilled later using the lower plate as a template .
I reckon that this should give a good cylinder without the hassle of faceplates and dilling there of .
Any views /oppinions /alternatives more than welcome ,dont want to screw this bit up ,took ages to get this far ...........................excuse typing its late and i am "tatered "

01102009151.jpg

01102009151.jpg

good progress today ......

Got the tool 1 and dowel sorted and drilled and tapped holes in upper cylinder for mounting to tool 2 which carrys the job on the faceplate ,decided to go this way when i realised the faceplate had holes already that i could to locate the tool .

Now got it all mounted and have started to drill out the 2.250 bore .

Need to grind up a trick boring tool ready for getting that surface finish !!!!!

then a quick skim acroos the front and it should be hot to trot to the mill for some serious dilling and milling ......................

Tool 1 and dowel.jpg

Tool 1 and dowel.jpg

boring cylinder 2.jpg

boring cylinder 2.jpg

boring cylinder.jpg

boring cylinder.jpg

Managed to sneak off in the shop this eve and get some boring done ,looking for a 2.250" hole less a gnats for a hone .Managed to drill out to 1" ,mate leant me a 2" monster drill but it is on MT4 and my lathe is MT3 so that was a bit of a blow !!

Ground up a nice little boring tip and fitted it to the biggest boring bar i have that will fit in the hole ,comenced ,lowish revs and a reasonable feed ,bit of protestin on the first run mainly getting the hole round following the drilling .
couple of wizzes on the grinder to keep a decent edge ,4.5 " deep hole means plenty of tool extension and i dont need the "SQUEELS"

Well after 2 hours and 25 cups of tea ,i have a 2.125" hole which is good and parallel,that will do me for tonight .Hope to get in there tomorrow and get it to size ,fingers crossed i can keep it Parallel :)

Parallel at 2.125 dia. and 4.5 deep, I would say thats a major accomplishment. :bow:

Ron

That looks great Chilly....make sure you send a picture to Ray....he appreciates it when any one builds one of his engines.

Dave

Back