Has brouck #10

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chillybilly said:
Reckon steamdave covered all the abreviations there !!

I like "jammy Dodgers " :big:

So do I, and hob nobs so bring some round next time you come.

John S.

See if you can get a strap bolt into one of the jaw slots.

Or, center drill the gland boss, and bring the tailstock up while you finish the outside of the gland. IIRC it has a threaded OD.

Turn up the gland nut before hand and leave the OD large.

Thread the male gland and then spin the nut on.

With the tailstock back in position, turn the OD of the nut to clean...still oversize, but round and in position.

Now mount a steady rest on this OD and finish out the bore.

Finish the nut later....

OR...you could just follow the directions that Ray gives with his engines ;D

Dave

The steam chest looks really nice, Chilly.
I don't remember if you had mentioned it, but do you have an idea of the size of boat the engine will power?

I have, what will probably be, another dumb question.
You said you'd run it on air, or maybe ofn. What's ofn?

With all the talk of biccys, bacon buttys, hob nobs, jammy dodgers, and ofn, I'm missing some of the things in our "common" language!

I once wrote a detailed shutter repair article for a classic camera forum, and a number of people sent their thanks, along with one fellow from Scotland who said I was a jammy dodger. I just told him "Thanks!", hoping it was an appropriate response.
Kind of like when someone speaks to you in a foreign language. You don't know if he is saying "Your mom is a nice lady" or "Your breath smells like dog butt", so, you just smile and nod...
Sorry for the silly questions.

Good progress on this build.

Dean

John ,will endavour to bring some biccys on next visit ,just need to shake off "big brother " and will get over .

OFN (oxygen free nitrogen) good stuff if you not paying for it .

As for the valve chest ,thanks for advice ,will give it some thought today ,thanks for advice .

Better hit the road now .................................

decided on the 4 jaw in the end ,bit of a slow steady job but a good end result ,all to size .Made hell of a mess with the chips from the interupted cut though !!
Drilling the end support hole is proving a challenge it 5.5" depth ,so the plan is to make a drill extension to get the hole to depth ,onle need a .250" to get there .
Had to move the engione omn the bench this eve ,boy its getting heavy !!!

Onward and Upward .................

valve chest  (2).jpg

chaest in lathe before the satrt.jpg

One end finished .jpg

Well been at the biccys and the tea again ,making the steam valve between slurps :D

Material recomended is bronze or CI,well i have niether,sooooooooooooo

Got an old brass valve from work and set about on the saw (new blade is the biz JS)
eventually got a reasonable size piece off it ,stuck it on the mill and machined it flat .both sides

Next got a lump of steel and milled a face flat on that ,then silver soldered the two together .........easy ;)

Then back to the saw to bring it nearer to size then blocked up on the mill , gave the top steel face a skim then laid it down on the steel and machined the brass face flat and milled the pocket into it ,leaving some plus for final fitting into the valve chest .

Flipped it over ,machined down to size plus a bit ,found the centre and drilled the 0.500" hole ,flat bottomed it ,then machined the .250" slot right through to depth .

Just need to put the angles onto it and that should be another part done .

After considerable thought i have decided to get reversing quadrant thingy laser cut at a local place in stainless ,i understand that this is not really the true form ,but after looking into it (with help from peeps on this forum ) i decided that the time and material/setup made it a little unviable att present .Further too that Santa claus was struggling as to what to put in my stocking ....Two birds with one stone me thinks :big:

steam valve (5)brass portion.jpg

steam valve (6)cutting slot.jpg

steam valve (4)positioned.jpg

steam valve (3)before angles.jpg

Nice job with the Four Jaw John.....What a great invention those Four jaws....
Dave

Right that s xmas out the way ,i have been sneaking off regularly to "do a bit".

Santa brought me the plate parts so that means i can crack on with the various parts that assemble the valve gear .

Link arm is ally just done in the vice no major dramas ,pic shows all done bar the thinning of one of the legs.

Brass parts are for the reversing mechanism and again were straight forward vice jobs .Not alot but certainly maens i am one step closer to the running of it phase ..............

Excuse duff pics ,think i got and oily something on the lens

Link arm (2).jpg

link arm 3.jpg

Brass linkage.jpg

Brass linkage (2).jpg

managed to do a couple hours over the last few days ,its a bit cold for any prolonged sessions .

Managed to get the lugs brazed on to the lower plate and all machined back ,this was due to having an insufficient size left in the original stock once i had removed all the damage i had caused with the plasma cutter!!!!!!!!!!! Ll done now no drama .

Cut and threaded the valve rods(eccentric to the valve gear)made a basic jig so as to get them both the same length .

Couldnt resist the chance of bolting it all onto the front of the engine since Mr Claus came up with my laser cut parts so pic below .

The engine is now approching the point where all the bits have to meet together to perform the right action ,so you find out where all the mistakes are !!!! ::)

valve rods in place .jpg

brazed correction.jpg

It's coming along nicely, Chilly.
That name of yours really tells true this time of year, doesn't it?

; )

Dean

Deanofid said:
It's coming along nicely, Chilly.
That name of yours really tells true this time of year, doesn't it?

; )

Dean
you are not wrong ,"chillybilly" was the man who turned the light on when you opened the fridge door in a book back in my school days ,i nicked it based on my occupation and my christinan name ,cool eh

Had a moment of clarity today ,you know how you do ................

This engine with a 2.250" bore and a 3" stroke is going to consume a large volume of whichever gas i run it on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which means the plan of running it to power a pump may be massively expensive.....

I feel a little deflated ............ :'(

You'll need a 10 sq ft water tube boiler or a 15 sq ft firetube boiler....

;D Don't let that scare ya.....you only live once and you can't take the money with ya... ;D

Dave

Hi Chillybilly, nice work on that engine!

The Steam Boat Association of GB has a boiler design library at http://www.steamboat.org.uk/sbas_boiler_designs.htm
I believe the two drum watertube boiler would suit your engine if it's not to be pressed too hard. Hope this may help. (I'll shortly be starting to build the three drum weldless watertube one.) John.

Drat drat and double drat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks fellas ,boiler gonna be massive it seems !!!!!

Gonna decide on this boiler thing when i got the engine done i think .

Been busy getting all the little bushes and spacers sorted to keep all the valve gear smooth .

Have also been looking at the flywheel pretty big 5" dia and 2" thick on the smaller dia.

Keyway is the issue .Have ground a tool (pic) to do the job using the carrige method ,not something i am too familier with ,so any tips or advice please would be helpfull ,one being how do you get the tool on the centre lign accurately so you can cut the keyway ???

Thanks in advance :)

13012010346.jpg

CB,

This is my way others may have better ideas. :)

1st up the diameter of the flywheel must be accurately marked off.

Next 2 lines parallel to the diameter line and to 1/2 the width of the keyway are marked either side of the centre/diameter line.

With the flywheel chucked true these lines are set horizontal with the lathe in its' lowest gear/speed. Power OFF.

The boring bar with keyway tool is now set up so that firstly the cutting edge is vertical, i.e. at right angles to the 3 lines.

Next the tool is brought up to the front face and adjusted vertically to match the the 2 outer lines.

When all this is according to Hoyle it's time to start cutting.

Put the tool a short way into the hole and feed out on the X slide until it just touches the inside of the bore. Adjust to Zero/note the reading.

Back out the tool using the saddle and then take a full length cut using the saddle. If all is OK there will be 2 parallel lines in the bore.

These lines/cuts will be deeper at the start than at the finish due to spring in the boring bar so try and keep the overhang to a minimum.

I don't know the size of your machine but for a decent sized 6"UK/12"US lathe the maximum cut depth would be around 0.005" and that's also with a pretty hefty boring bar.

In any event a minimum of 3 passes per cut are required and when you get to the full width of the keyway reduce outfeed to 0.002" and as many passes as necessary.

It's a long finicky job, rushing it will overstress the lathe or stuff up the keyway/flywheel.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Best Regards
Bob

thanks bob , followed your instructions in some ally to proof the tooling and get a setup ,all went well ,you are right it is a long job ! Will get the fly wheel started over the weekend ,maybe

Well how the time flys !!! Not managed any work on the #10 of recent times due to my mate who is an avid drag race competitor wanting me to make all these fancy bits for the new machine he is building ! Turbo mounting flanges ,exhaust header sleeves ,rear axle spacers etc Really good fun and i get to watch the machine perform over the summer months !!! With my bits attached !

I will be picking up the work on the #10 very soon ,regardless that it will never run in the way i had wished at the start ,i have to much time effort invested in it now to jack it in and i despise half finished projects in my shop .

Onward and upward :)

chillybilly said:
Had a moment of clarity today ,you know how you do ................

This engine with a 2.250" bore and a 3" stroke is going to consume a large volume of whichever gas i run it on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which means the plan of running it to power a pump may be massively expensive.....

I feel a little deflated ............ :'(

Got a nitrogen bottle haven't you ?

John S.

Back