Has anyone ever attempted to build a "split single engine" using the same principle as employed in a Daimler Puch 250cc SGS twin motorcycle engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a shot of the mock up with plastic cylinders in place...one set with fins, mounted on the alloy plates which form the box crankcase. the open end is where the carbie will be fitted and the magneto on the shaft. IMG_0019.JPG

In Model engineer April the 10th edition the description and plans for a split single two stroke model racing boat engine began. April 24th, May 1st and 8th May issues covered the plans and making of the engine. It was 10 cc capacity and revved to 15000 rpm. It used twin crankshafts. Using single crankshaft enable better scavenging of the exhaust and transfer efficiency from my understanding.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/

Your Model Engineering Online Archive - Model Engineer
www.model-engineer.co.uk › archive

The Model Engineer Magazines for sale | eBay
www.ebay.co.uk › ... › The Model Engineer Magazines

Results 1 - 48 of 1381 - Buy The Model Engineer Magazines and get the best deals at the lowest ... You are here ... The Model Engineer - Various Issues - 1997 ... The Model Engineer Magazine. Vol. 106. No. 2655. Thursday, April 10, 1952. ... Got one to sell? ... Magazines; Antiques & Collectables · Architecture, Art & Design...
Missing: R E Mitchell Spit Single two stroke Engine.
Cheers John.

thats the one i posted the write up and plans for in post number 9 the whole lot is there an interesting read

Look up English TROJAN car 4 Cylinder split cylinder engine quite a brilliant little car
Johwen

I remember being at our local hobby shop some years ago and seeing a couple of unusual engines. Both used a common combustion chamber. One is a twin cylinder engine and the other is a three cylinder radial kind of engine. The engines were rather grungy looking so the original owner must have run them and put them away for a long time. There were some rather large model helicopter rotors and parts piled up next to the engines so these two common combustion chamber engines might have been for a RC gyrocopter or RC helicopter. No way to tell anymore. Even the hobby shop owner didn't know. The things were dropped off to be sold at the hobby shop.

I remember them selling the Sears branded Puch 250s many years ago at the Sears stores. I knew a couple of fellows that bought them and used them for many years. They weren't all that powerful or sexy looking, but the motorcycles were quite functional and reliable though. I was young and wanted the sexier looking bikes at the time.

Attachments

• Common_combustion_chamber_engines_01.jpg
    Common_combustion_chamber_engines_01.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Common_combustion_chamber_engines_02.jpg
    Common_combustion_chamber_engines_02.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Common_combustion_chamber_engines_03.jpg
    Common_combustion_chamber_engines_03.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Common_combustion_chamber_engines_04.jpg
    Common_combustion_chamber_engines_04.jpg