Hardinge HLV-H Restoring

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work in progress on control box

image-1599962165.jpg

image-2056868478.jpg

image-1735883735.jpg

image-858791909.jpg

image-989772542.jpg

image-566491860.jpg

Did you buy a new front panel? If so, what do they run?

No I did not. I just made new one in corel draw.

Manufacturing of the plate is around 50 €.

Long time no post, my bad. I took very long to determine the color that matches closely the original one.
Finally with a little help of friend of mine I figure out the color is some where between 18B25 and 18B21. If some one is interested with exact recipe I can provide it.

Hi Engine man, I hope you are still around, I want to see more of your renovation work. Also I would like to know the mix (recipe) you ended up choosing for your paint as I am about to embark on my own rebuild but my UK built HLV-H is green so I can't even try to match the original as I want it gray.

Rodger.

these are fantasitc machines. i need to find one. i've run them before and threading is idiot proof. the spindles are very accurate. my goal is to replace my south bend with a hardinge hlv-h and also get something in the 14-16x40" range for the big jobs. maybe when i win the lotto.

Pay close attention to the compound base, I have seen them cracked from the ecentric clamping bolt. Very thin where the bolt goes through and mine had a hair line crack which caused chatter and vibration when using the machine. Mike

Hi Engine man, I hope you are still around, I want to see more of your renovation work. Also I would like to know the mix (recipe) you ended up choosing for your paint as I am about to embark on my own rebuild but my UK built HLV-H is green so I can't even try to match the original as I want it gray.

Rodger.

Hi Long time no post but this will change soon as the whether gets better around here. I did some job on the machine but relay a minor stuff, I will post some pictures. Regarding the paint, the original color for the machine is Hardinge Gray 7B. What I came up is Selemix BS.18B21 plus 100% Black for this color. I will Scan the recipe and post it here. Company that manufactures this pain is called PPG it is well known paint producer you will have no problem to obtain this paint in the UK.

Engine Man,

I have just bought a HLV H serial no. 3252, 1967. It is missing the feed motor and worm gear at the end of the armature.

Can you post details of your motor and do you have any spec for the worm gear size and pitch?

Nice job on your restoration.

Best,

Jon

Latest posts

Back