Hardinge HLV-H lathe ???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V 45

Reaction score
I am looking at a Hardinge HLV-H lathe. My question is....how hard would it be to take it ALL apart ??? It will have to be disassembled to facilitate getting it in my basement !!! Besides not being able to lift 1700 lbs and my steps probably wouldn't take it either plus my door isn't wide enough for it !!
Thanx again,
V 45

I can't comment on the Hardinge specifically, but that it effectively how I got my SB Heavy 10 into position. I did a complete tear down and rebuild. I tore it down in the driveway, and rebuilt it in the corner of the shop.

The South Bend is a pretty simple lathe. It is not hard to tear it down and then then get it back in trim again. However, between the stripping and re-painting, and the replacing or repairing of worn parts, the rebuild took me most of a year. The Hardinge is a bit more sophisticated and may be more complicated.

Thanx Brian...Once I get it I'll see what it will need to get down the steps...probably some of my giant friends to help !!!!!

Dave, Over and above the response I just provided on the Yahoo Hardinge lathe forum where it appears you posted the same question, Brian here brings up a good point. If your new to you HLV-H has a coolant pump, it is quite likely upon dissassembly you will find corrosion on things like the back side and inside of the apron among other places which will be awfully tempting to want to deal with or may become necessary to deal with when you take things apart. A bad case of 'you might as well' later, and before you know it you'll have another lengthy rebuild thread going. Other than that, as mentioned on the other forum, do as little dissassembly as is possible, unless you feel completely at ease with dealing with reallignment challanges and any of the other surprises you may encounter. Taking it apart isn't the hard part.

Robin

Hi V 45,

Getting it apart not too hard...:eek::eek::eek: :fan:

But getting it back together a bit more time consuming...;D;D;D :wall: :hDe:

torch.jpg

superglue.jpg

Thanx all...if I even get this lathe (hoping I do)...I will take care of the issues as they arrise if any.

Latest posts

Back