Halo triple radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good John.... The engine that is! ;)

Surely the minor oversight is just another one of those learning curve things?
I am currently re-making my cylinder... Wasn't happy with the finish of the first one :-\

It will be good for you to have to figure the job out. It means that it will be ingrained more by the time you have finished :D

That's the thing I love about my shop, in there I am the boss, There is only me to shout at... Not much point in that! If I make a part incorrectly, there is no piont in getting annoyed. I just think oh well and find some more material. Then it's just a case of make it again... As I have said before there is no stress in my shop. All that is left at work!

Happy machining,

Ralph.

John
That engine is a thing of beauty!! I'm hoping to tackle it myself, in the future. I would have thought the 3 cylinder version would look a bit sparse, but you've certainly proved that isn't the case. I'll be watching with great interest as you progress.

Steve

I think I have mentioned this before, but if anyone wants to build a fairly simple radial, contact me by email and I can show you how.

John

triffid.jpg

Like you Cedge I thought the triple might look a little sparse but its working out ok. Mind you the full five cylinder version will look pretty awesome and I am looking forward to Bogs build later this year.

Minor setback today - I tackled the one job I was dreading and that was putting in the tappet guide holes in the crancase - each one angled by 7 degrees then offset by .052. Just couldn't get my head round it until I had to carry out a post mortem - now I understand. I shall now have to make another front crankcase housing - it will be my
third !!! No wonder the cost of ali is on the increase.

John S

I told you a while back about that John, I couldn't fathom it out either, so you are not alone. You can tell me how to do it now.

At least you will be able to make crankcase housings in your sleep from now on.

The recycle box is the only resource in my shop that grows, looks like yours is going the same way.

Bogs

John S
No need to feel bad about the repeats. My own project is on it's second cylinder bore and upper valve section. (one really ought to tighten the vise before one begins milling) It's just part of what we do. I don't even cuss very much, anymore, when it happens.

I too will be very curious as to how you solve the puzzle. I'm studying the drawings with an eye toward getting serious about this engine, probably early next year. The list of engines I want to build is not getting any shorter...(sigh). So far it definitely includes a "side rod" steam engine, an in line dual cylinder 8 valve poppet engine and the 5 barrel Halo. The Halo engine is the only one I have any drawings for, so I'm in for more interesting challenges to come.

Steve

Steve

Its funny you should mention that you don't cuss any more when things go belly up. I am amazed at how philosophical I have become - at one time, when I was under the pressures of work and paying the mortgage, I would have been in a rage and the air would have been blue. But now, OK so I have to make another crankcase housing, so what ? if I wasn't making that I would be making something else so its no big deal and any way it delays the day when I connect up the air and find that the b****r doesn't run.

It was with both relief and surprise that the design and drawings for those tappet (rod ?) holes had caused confusion to others. I thought it was just my inexperience in reading engineering drawings. I am going to attempt one or two sketches to try and clarify the arrangement for others who may be interested in building a Halo.

John S

Putting in the tappet (valve operating rod) holes into the crankcase housing is a straightforward procedure once you understand the drawing. It took a bit of head scratching before I got my head round it. Forgive me if I am teaching grandmothers to suck eggs but I found Liney’s plan for the radial very confusing.

Here is how I eventually interpreted the method -

CIMG3781.jpg

1 Using my RT the crankcase was centered beneath the drill on my mill with the pre machined flat to take #1 cylinder ensuring it was horizontal.

2 The crankcase was then rotated 7.5 degrees anti-clockwise.

3 Using the mill cross slide the crankcase was then moved .052” to the right.

4 The .125” hole to take the tappet guide was then drilled.

5 Repeat this sequence for each cylinder.

6 The corresponding set of parallel holes are set in the same way but in reverse – the crankcase is rotated 7.5 degrees clockwise and moved .052” to the left.

One cautionary note – check that the hole positions also coincide correctly, fore and aft, with the cam surfaces.

I hope this is of some help if anyone decides to build a Halo.

John S

Your engine is looking great! Is that a model in your avatar?

Hi kustomkb

Yes it is a half scale model of a manx norton single cylinder ohc motorcycle engine that dominated motorcycle racing in the fifties - now if I could build one of those !!!!

John S

Well after a 200 mile round trip to see Bogs to sort out the valve arrangement on my triple radial the engine is just about finished. I have decided to settle for the 'oily rag look' rather than disassemble it to give it some bling. Lessons learnt ? Many, but in particular, in adapting the designers original plan for the five cylinder arrangement to this three cylinder version obviously affects position of cylinders, con rod, etc., but also the position of fasteners which caught me out on a couple of occasions.

Here is some video footage of the completed engine http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/cormorant2/?action=view&current=Halosequences.flv

Well done John,

A wonderful achievement.

Not only have you got a running engine, you modified the plans to give you what you were after. A massive step up in my opinion.

Learning from your mistakes is the best teacher in the world. You only usually do it the once.

I can now see who I will be coming to, to get the info on the future build.

John

John :bow: :bow: :bow: One for each cylinder on your sweet radial ;D

Now that's a beauty! ;)

I like the use of what appears to be an agate slice... very different! ;D a good looking finished product me thinks!

Congrat's on a good runner ;)

Ralph.

(p.s. if you use the 'IMG CODE' link on photochuckit it will put that pretty little picture thingy on the post ;) )

BTW Ralph, John has such a grin on his face, it touched at the back, and the slipstream blew the top of his head off.

He is speechless when he sends me emails, but wouldn't you, after getting one like that running.

John

Thanks Ralph

I wondered why I only got a link and not a piccie on my posting. I shall know better next time.

After struggling to set up the timing and valve settings (I won't tell you which B**** helped me out there) I had it up and running. The next day I had a delayed reply from Lance on his return from summer break with full easy set up instructions, apparently I have mine running backwards !

John S

I wouldn't worry about it John, we all go backwards sometimes.

Just think of it this way, you have produced a totally unique engine.

Bogs

Latest posts

Back