Halo triple radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
In response to overwhelming demand - well one actually, thanks Ralph. I am now going to attempt to post my first photo on here
CIMG3742.jpg

The full version of this engine is a 5 cylinder arrangement. I was going to build a modest V twin version but as I had made a spare cylinder and head I decided to go for a three cylinder version. I believe Bogs is planning a build of the full 5 cylinder version later in the year. I think I am pushing my personal boundaries in making three of everything let alone five !

I am now approaching the stage where I need, to drill holes, angled and offset to accommodate the valve tappets. I already have a spare crankcase front section so I shall be practising on that !

John S

That's a very good looking engine. Nice work indeed. Can't wait to hear it run...

Chuck

John,

At last you have got over your shyness and come out of the closet.

Now you are really showing you have got over the newbie hump.

Very well done. You have achieved wonders in the last month or so, keep it up.

Bogs.

Very nice work John! About how large is it? I am bad with scale.
Tim

Bogstandard said:
Now you are really showing you have got over the newbie hump.

Not kidding .......... 8) ............. very nice work John

CC

Thanks guys !!! Your words of appreciation really do inspire me to progress to the next stage. As a bit of light relief I am now working on a special flywheel. If it works out OK you will all be the first to know - if it doesn't I shall go back in my closet (Bogs).

Zeusrekning - you were asking about scale - all I can say its tiny (should have gone to specsavers - uk joke, almost). On my next post, don't hold your breath I will include something in the pic to give an idea of size - no not that !!!)

John S

Don't want to hijack John's post, as it will get better and better, but here is the original question about Halo, and contains all that needs to be known at the moment. It looks difficult, but in fact when it is broken down into little pieces, with a bit of care, someone with a couple of normal engines under their belt should be able to complete one.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1987

I will be doing a blow by blow account later in the year. Using manual machinery.

For Tim, here are some dimensions:

.375” pistons with .375” stroke (square engine)

The engine is just under 5 inches overall OD

The cylinders are .75 inches OD

The crankcase is 1.65 OD

The Drive shaft is 1/4"

These are taken from Liney's site.

Bogs

Thank you John, I see now how well you can build ;D

It has a very clean and symmetrical set of lines about it (the way it is supposed to be ;) ). You are definitely at a higher level... ;)

Hopefully I can achieve repeatable accuracy in the future? Until then I shall be turfing out one off odd pieces and hoping they all work with each other ;D Speaking of which I find myself intrigued about the flywheel!!?? 8)

Please feel very welcome to post even the smallest part for us to see in the future... That's what this section of the forum is all about, showing off your talents... ( no not that one!! ;D )

Ralph.

P.S. Be carefull John... posting pic's and general chat can become quite addictive!!! :big:

Damn spell check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (may be the late night also??) soon to be corrected :big:

Thanks for showing someone reads my ramblings Marv !! ;D

Ralph.

Marv
Actually it just might be the best one line description of the old sod that I've recently seen....LOL

Steve

Steve,

Hah!!!!

If you could read the post, it was about John S, not me.

So methinks an apology to John S for that one.

Defiant John

LOL.... okay.. apology extended to John S... but ya gotta admit, you wear it well...LOL

Steve

In response to overwhelming demand - well this time none actually but I thought I would give you an update anyway ! What I am trying to do is everything apart from committing myself to drilling the holes for the tappets and ruin my crankcase. So I have been concentrating on the top-end with valve rockers oh and a spoked flywheel.
CIMG3766.jpg

John,

Starting to look really juicy now.

We are all waiting with baited breath here, so you are going to have to take the plunge soon.
Get your bit of paper out and get your machining sequence sequence sorted. Really it should have been done when you made the holes in the crankcase for the cylinders, but I am sure you can come up with another way.

Well done

John

OMG !!! You are right John - what a plonker I am - going to have to try and find TDC for each cylinder mounting.

John S

Not a plonker at all John.

Just a genuine oversight.

The lesson has been learned, you will solve the problem, and you will think twice before making the same mistake again.

Just tell me one person who has never made a mistake. I do it all the time, but I'm quicker at covering my tracks.

John

Is it possible to be in love with an engine? ???

I absolutely love the radial.

Eric

Brass_Machine said:
Is it possible to be in love with an engine? ???

Steady Eric :eek: ................ ;D ............ ti's bloomin nice though ain't it ......... JohnS, your certainly no "plonker" being able to produce that little beauty mate. You'll sort the minor hiccup I'm sure.

CC

Latest posts

Back