Hall transistors

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I burned the hall transistor on my V-twin over the weekend. I had a loose ground and that did it in. I have one more at home but would like to buy a few of them. The only identification on it is the number 6848. I did a search and came up with a similar number DN6848S but when I went to DigiKey they didn't list it. Does anyone know what this part is and where I could buy a few of them?
Thanks,
gbritnell

Thanks, but they don't list any Hall transistors. When I plugged in the number it came up with micro switches.
gbritnell

There's a Schmidt trigger in it too. Probably some thermal diodes as well. This part doesn't seem to be widely available in small quantities. Mouser has a lot of hall-effect devices but don't see this exact one.

Digikey doesn't show it as being a stocked item.

Hi George.
I did also burned the Hall sensor. I purchased new ones from a company in New York.
I do not remember their name but I have it down in the shop so I will rush down and get it.
Ps.I ordered 10 pc. just in case :big:
CS

Remember Jerry Howel saying that to get the ones with higher voltage or they won't last long.

Looked in my ignition drawer and found note that says:
Digi Key # DN6848 4.5 v - 16 v

You might be able to scrounge/beg some if you know anybody who works on bean to cup auto coffee machines as they use them for pulse counters on the brew chamber piston motors theres usually two per motor one to count the other for the home position.That's where mine come from and they've been OK.
regards

Thanks everyone for the responses. I had ordered some from Jerry Howell's site last week but they are smaller than the one I was using. The original ones also came from JH but they must have changed suppliers. I would like to stick with the same one as it fits into the cover of my engine. I tried DigiKey for that number but it comes up with a different suffix and the picture is of a totally different component. The Honeywell piece looks correct but that doesn't mean much in the world of electronics.
gbritnell

gbritnell said:
The Honeywell piece looks correct but that doesn't mean much in the world of electronics.
gbritnell

Very true G but if you click the link to the spec sheet you will see that the pin out is the same as the unit used for the S/S ignition and like transistors, General switching devices are easy to replace. Most will interchange. If you want, I could try one and give you a report.

Thanks Steve, I'd appreciate it.
George

Sorry G but there will be a slight delay. I had everything wired up on the bench and hooked to a 12 volt battery. I was about to turn the power on and decided to look the circuit over one last time. Then the light went on and i remembered that the ignition requires 3-6 volts. I need to get some regulators.

I will order some because I need them anyway and let you know if the honeywell units work ASAP.

Cheers

Steve

I abandoned electrics/electronics when bosses became beurocrats and the engineers lost control. Are hall effect devices still trouble prone? I never liked them. Change to Opto sensors.
Ant

Hi Antman,
Thanks for the advice on the optical sensors but for the uninitiated, who, what, when and where? Do you have some type of schematic for using such devices and which ones to buy? We get along in this modeling field with the help of others that are educated in other areas. My expertise is by no means in electronics but I can sure crank a mean milling machine.
gbritnell

You can also use a small reed switch to substitute a hall. You will be surprised on the speed that you can get on a small reed. ;)

Back