Good Day in the Shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Today I started out by going to the metal dealer to get some 1 1/2" square brass for the cylinder for my Fan Project even though I bought 3 times more than I needed, (Good Insurance). I proceeded to mounted it in the 4 jaw and turned the 2" length to 1" diameter then cut the 10 .093 wide grooves each .112 deep exactly .041 apart, I love that DRO then sawed it off turned the piece around, put it in the 3 jaw faced off the base and then drilled to 1/2" and bored the hole to exactly .600 and then put the part in the mill and removed each side of the base so that it would be 1.5 x 1.00 then drilled the four holes in the base, then drilled and tapped the big aluminum piece so that it would go together.
Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the boring operation. Well what took two minutes to read took 6 hours to make. VIOLA... it fits, all dimensions are exactly what the print calls for and it looks good.
Don't you just love it when that happens. :-*

cuttinggrooves.jpg

facingthebottom.jpg

PowerCylinder.jpg

cylinderonfan.jpg

Thanks for looking
Jack

Looks good!

You don't have far to go now, by the looks of things.

I've wondered how much of an effect on performance the fins have. I've built a half-scale version of the "Moriya" fan, and it doesn't have fins on the power cylinder.

Kevin

Looking good Jack and I knew you would love using a DRO. I only went about a year before I added one to the lathe and then about another 6 months before I added one to the mill.

joeby said:
I've wondered how much of an effect on performance the fins have. I've built a half-scale version of the "Moriya" fan, and it doesn't have fins on the power cylinder.
FWIW, The fins on my mini-fan are largely decorative (I messed up setting the depth), but it runs fine. There's probably some value to them, but they do look nice.

Good one, Jack.

Looks like it's almost done.

Kevin

Jack,

Looks pretty spiffy to me. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back