Getting rid of red flux stains on brass

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a bit of success using Duzall soldering flux to clean copper. You've probably already got some in your shop. You can rub it in with a Scotch scouring pad - use gloves.
I had a bottle which I bought about 50 years ago as a kid and it finally ran out last year. The new bottle was identical to the old one. There can't be many products around like that.
Regards,
Alan C.

So I don't really think HCl is all that dangerous. H2SO4 on the other hand, I won't deal with. That stuff is nasty!

Actually, it is now the time to teach people to suck eggs:eek:

Without HCl, we wouldn't be able to------------------------------it is stomach acid:hDe:

Apologies but this really is schoolboy chemistry. And we take antacid ( anti acid) tablets when we have an excess.

So enjoy a Merry Christmas and EAT and EAT

Cheers

Norman

Bought this Pickling Compound(powder) from TokyuHands,Japan, in the silver/gold hobby dept ,some years back and it works. Used it to clean up and silver brazing mini steam boilers.
The label is in Japanese and Gus can only read Kanji and no Hirakana/Katakana.

IMG_2457.jpg

After soaking for 10 hours in a solution of citric acid,I don't see any real difference to the very first picture at the beginning of this thread. I think I can safely say that citric acid (at the concentration I used) is not going to have much effect on the red stain. It may be a bit paler, but not enough so that you can't recognize it. I checked to see what I have for Hydrogen Peroxide (as purchased from the pharmacy) and it says that the solution I have purchased is 3%. I am now going to submerge the test pieces in a glass jar filled with Hydrogen Peroxide and see what that does.

I'll be surprised if Hydrogen Peroxide will have much effect - apart from a fizz when oxygen comes off- perhaps as an oxide and leaves- distilled water.

Somewhat obtusely, you could organise a bomb( Oh yes) or come out as a blonde- or both.

I was thinking of weed killer and diesel oil:fan: And that smiley does suggest that Alfred Nobel made a fortune out of:fan:. Do I get a Piece prize?

Reactions: gus
you need to mix the H2O2 with the citric acid.

goldstar, i think you mean fertilizer, not herbicide. you need ammonium nitrate and fuel oil. :hDe:

Reactions: gus
goldstar, i think you mean fertilizer, not herbicide. you need ammonium nitrate and fuel oil. :hDe:

Sodium chlorate which is a weed killer and diesel fuel. Mind you bird sh1t was- and I think still is another variation.And then there was urine- which was collected. As we are on- model engineering( really) excellent for tempering steel.

'And one man in his time plays many parts!' :mad:

Last time that I was anywhere near explosives was standing with my wife on Vimy Ridge in Northern France. Just paying homage- to those who didn't get home.

As I said- and one man in his time plays many parts.

Latest posts

Back