Gears

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesley

Reaction score
Hi all been away a while now,but am back with you great people,well l was not up to doing a lot ,l was thinking what to do after doing rudys steam tractor,and think l will have a go at the kerzel engine ,from what l read this calls for 32dp gears ,owing to the fact l geared myselve up with 48dp cutters for the tractor ,do you think l could chage the gears from 32dp to 48dp as l already have the cutters,thought l would pass that by you experts,well l better get back to reading all the post l have missed,you all take care out there.
wes

Being as both pitch numbers are divisible by 4 you can get the same P.D. in most cases. 1.00 P.D. would be 32 and 48 teeth respectively. .75 P.D. would be 24 and 36, .625 P.D. would be 20 and 30, .50 P.D. would be 16 and 24

Wes--you should be able to do that. One gear must have exactly twice as many teeth as the other gear, and the pitch diameters must match the gearing which is called for in order for the gears to mesh properly. The Kerzel plans call for 32 pitch gears , one with 0.625" pitch diameter and 20 teeth, and one with 1.25" pitch diameter with 40 teeth. The center distance is achieved by adding the two pitch radii together , which in this case will be 0.9375" center to center. The equivalent gears in 48 pitch would be a gear of 0.625" pitch with 30 teeth and a gear of 1.25" diameter with 60 teeth.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help over the gears,least l can get more use out of my set of 48dp cutters now,l expect like many others on here ,have brought a tool to do the job then it sits for ever in the draw ,so am real happy to make more use of the cutters,you all take good care an keep the posts coming in really good reading an the work is first class.
wes

Just like to say a great big thanks to brian,he has put up with me and has been a great help over my problems with gears.
wes

Back