Gear Cutting Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tms6401

Reaction score
As the title says, I have a gear cutting question.

I want to cut gears for a Webster ... I have the Module .8 set of cutters ... how deep do I cut the teeth?

Is there a chart or general rule for the depth of cut for each size size of cutter (module or DP)?

Thanks For Any Help

Tom

Hi Tom,
The general rule for moduul gears is 2.25 x moduul.
So in your case the teeth dept is 1.8 mm.
Kind regards, Johan.

Hi Tom,

There are formulas for the gears here:
http://www.engineersedge.com/gear_formula.htm

This page has additional definitions for the terminology:
http://quickgear.bizland.com/id11.html

I have been using softwware from www.gearotic.com that has a great spur gear calculator - put in the module, nbr teeth, it gives you all the info. A quick google search on 'gear formulas' will turn up lots of sites/tables. The main things you will be looking for are outside diameter and working depth.

Chris

Gear cutting data
Dave

}

I want to cut gears for a Webster ... I have the Module .8 set of cutters ... how deep do I cut the teeth?

Is there a chart or general rule for the depth of cut for each size size of cutter (module or DP)?

Thanks For Any Help

Tom

Gear.gif

Wow .... Thanks Everyone for all the information! I thought I had searched fairly well, but plainly, I hadn't.

I will save all of those links and have a read later today.

Thanks Again,

Tom

Hi Dave,

Thanks for info. Todate I have been cutting Module 1 and 0.8 blindly or rather by eye ball checking tooth height if they look good. Timing gears for Webster,Rupnow H&M and soon Howell V-2 were DIY. I have a Master Cataloque from KG Gears Japan for reference.

Thanks For Any Help

Tom

Hi Tom .

There are more six forum members cutting gears for engines. We all learnt it the hard way. Some of us have paper weights with 1/2 tooth.:rolleyes::hDe:
Bought gear cutters from CTC. DIY my own Dividing Head from Harold Hall's plans.

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

Hi Gus,

I have cut some module 1 gears before so I am not a total newbie at it, and yes I did get some interesting results in the first 3 or 4 attempts. Now that I have done it, it isn't so bad at all. I think I would much rather cut gears than build a boiler.

I should have a pic of my results shortly.

Tom

Remember: Module 1 = π (Pi) 3,14 in circular pitch.
To example: 3,14 : Module 0,8 = 2,51 mm circular pitch.
2,51 mm circular pitch : 2 = 1,25 mm wide of circular tickness (gear teeth tickness).

Cut depth of gear cutter: 2,25 x Module 0,8 = 1,8 mm :)

Thanks to the help you folks gave me, I have a 24 tooth pinion stick done . From this I will make one of the Webster timing gears. I will do the other sized one tomorrow.

LongGear.jpg

There used to be an excellent mitre gear tutorial in the article section but it says it isn't there anymore ... anyone know where it went? It was done by Swifty

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Paul. I want to make the bevel gears for my Rupnow Hit and Miss (way too long neglected) and I want to do either a Shay or Climax rolling chassis (with engines and running on air)for demonstration purposes.

Tom

Thank You Paul.

I have downloaded it and read it and I will have a go later in the week.

I have the Ivan Law book and will have another read.

Cheers

Tom

Latest posts

Back