G'day from Queensland Australia.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltrades01

Reaction score
I've already posted my first question, and missed this.

I'm into anything in steam. I'm about to buy my own lathe & there are a couple of steam engines I'd like to make.

Its a great site & some of the machining that has been done on here is amazing & I'm sure I'll learn lots.

Martin

I've already posted my first question, and missed this.

I'm into anything in steam. I'm about to buy my own lathe & there are a couple of steam engines I'd like to make.

Its a great site & some of the machining that has been done on here is amazing & I'm sure I'll learn lots.

Martin
Welcome.Gus is old newbie.
Feel free to ask questions and for help.There are very good lathes and some lemons too.If you are buying "Made in China" Lathes,please buy from reputable distributors. I bought same lathe in the USA for my friend.Forum members gave some very good tips.Same lathe bought from low repute dealers can be lemons.
I bought top of the line "Sakai" lathe made in Japan and a Sakai Vertical Milling. No problem from day one till 8 years later today.

There are members hailing from Oz who can help you.

Wish you all success.

Gus from faraway Singapore.
Machine.

Yes, a warm welcome to the forum Martin! and "what Gus said" :)
Stew.

Welcome from a fellow Aussie Martin. There a a couple of blokes up your way.

Jim

Hi There,
Thanks for the welcome. The whole forum seems like a friendly & helpful group.
My main interest is in large models/full size steam engines. I currently have a home built 2 1/4" x 2 3/8" single cylinder steam engine, which looks a bit "agricultural":eek:, that I plan on putting in a boat.
I'm not sure if the boat/boiler build, would be permitted on this site.? but I do plan on building a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" steam engine to drive a generator for the boat:). & I'm sure there'll be other projects as well.

Welcome.Gus is old newbie.
I bought top of the line "Sakai" lathe made in Japan and a Sakai Vertical Milling. No problem from day one till 8 years later today.
Wish you all success.
Gus from faraway Singapore.
Machine.

Gus did you buy it directly from Japan? That"s what I'd like to do, buy it direct, as everything in Australia is prohibitively expensive.

Martin

Hi There,
Thanks for the welcome. The whole forum seems like a friendly & helpful group.
My main interest is in large models/full size steam engines. I currently have a home built 2 1/4" x 2 3/8" single cylinder steam engine, which looks a bit "agricultural":eek:, that I plan on putting in a boat.
I'm not sure if the boat/boiler build, would be permitted on this site.? but I do plan on building a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" steam engine to drive a generator for the boat:). & I'm sure there'll be other projects as well.

Gus did you buy it directly from Japan? That"s what I'd like to do, buy it direct, as everything in Australia is prohibitively expensive.

Martin

Hi Martin.
I bought Sakai ML360 for A$1900 MM180 Vertical Mill for A$2100.###
It was very expensive.A Chinese lathe sells at A$800 and Mill A$1000.
My friends thought I was mad buy Japanse m/cs at crazy price.They bought Chinese.Today they are still trying coax the machine to do fine work.When the tail stock alignment is off by 10 thou you can picture the headstock too.
### Just happen to make a good bundle selling off my second property.

I was told same Chinese Lathe if bought from a reputable dealer would be fine but would cost you a bit more. The Arceurotrade.com charges 100 quit
extra for tuning up lathe.
I gave away a Sieg Lathe to a very good friend.Lathe was bought from the reputable "Littlemachineshop" who has QC guys located at Sieg China factory.

Eight years down the line my Sakais just had a vee belt replaced last nite.

GDay Martin,

A fellow Queenslander here, nice to know I'm not alone ... lol

Welcome to the board.

Any Questions you have just holler, someone here is bound to have the answers for you.

I'm not into steam myself, but I love the mechanics of it just the same.

Hi Martin
Where in Qld are you?
Its a very big place :)
Pete

There seems to be more Aussies here than I thought, you bewdy th_wav

GDay blokes.

Hi Martin,

I bought it in Singapore from their agent.
Your next trip to Tokyo,drop by Tokyo Hands.They have many branches.Any branch will do.Please do not spend too much time.Gus got out dead broke.Too many handy man stuffs and DIY.
No worry their salesmen/girls speaks good english.They accept Visa.They don't stock China Lathes for obvious reasons.

Latest posts

Back