Galloway question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 7HP Galloway (in 1:1 scale) with the football shaped water opening instead of the round. I don't know if this is older or newer or just different than the 5HP which seems like was the model the scale casting sets were copied from? Here is an over head shot of my governor which is much simpler:

7HP Galloway Governor by stagetech56, on Flickr

Just a spool (i.e. sleeve with flange on each end), fingers of weights act on one end, roller on cutout arm acts on the other flange. Adjust spring on cutout arm for the tension you want there and weights are supposed to have springs. I took the springs off the weights and lightened the tension on the cutout arm to point where the engine would darn near stop as it fired so it was just about as low RPM as I could get.

Paul

WOW! pkastagehand, is it my eyes or is something bent in your photo looks like the crankshaft :eek:

compspecial said:
WOW! pkastagehand, is it my eyes or is something bent in your photo looks like the crankshaft :eek:

Must be a trick of the optics on the cheap digital camera used at such close range. I maybe was even using macro, I can't remember.

Last time I ran it still ran true. But I see what you mean when I look at it. Interesting.

Paul

Paul

Your engine is a different style Galloway. If you look in the old catalogs they sold one that was referred to as a round rod ie the connecting rod was round. It had the governor system you see in the model. They were made up to a 12HP. The other style I am less familar with but it had a different connecting rod ie rectangular and the governor system in your picture.

Not sure why they had both.

Bob

BobsModels said:
Paul

Your engine is a different style Galloway. If you look in the old catalogs they sold one that was referred to as a round rod ie the connecting rod was round. It had the governor system you see in the model. They were made up to a 12HP. The other style I am less familar with but it had a different connecting rod ie rectangular and the governor system in your picture.

Not sure why they had both.

Bob

Not sure that mine falls into the category of "round rod" unless the rod was replaced. If you look way up in the top left corner you can just make out the rod; it is sort of like many modern forged rods in that it has a sort of "I" beam shape to it. The engine is definitely not the same model as the range of scale model castings being sold. I just saw the set at NAMES today. They have the squarish water hopper with a round hole, mine has the football shaped hole and the hopper has much more rounded corners. Older or newer I have no idea. Just a different model (Malibu vs Impala), again I haven't researched it much.

My full size engine was purchased down in Bluford IL (Mt. Vernon/Carbondale area) in way south Illinois and it was suggested that it might have been running gas or oil wells in an earlier life. It has a carb that suggests it ran on natural gas or something with large chamber sealed with a check valve right above where it pulls the air in.

Paul

Back