FOUR JAW CHUCK do like it or hate it 4

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often is your 4 jaw used

• Alway use a 4 jaw chuck never use a 3 jaw

• Use a 4 jaw chuck most of time

• Use a 3 jaw and some times use 4 jaw

• Use a 4 jaw only if I have to use one

• Chuck key FLYS on use the 4 Jaw only use a 3 jaw

Results are only viewable after voting.
If I'm making a part that needs to be flipped for machining on the other end the 4 jaw goes on
for the second setup so the part can be indicated in as close as possible.

If a part can be made in one setup and parted off there's no way I'd bother indicating in a 4 jaw
setup.

Unless I am sure I can finish a part in one chucking or I am not concerned about concentricity I mount one of the 4 jaws.

What they said Thm:

Have ground the chuck jaws
Dave

My lathe is getting old. (So Am I!)

Things start to wear out.
My 3 jaw chuck runs out about .002" now.

If I'm making a part that needs to be flipped for machining on the other end the 4 jaw goes on
for the second setup so the part can be indicated in as close as possible.

If a part can be made in one setup and parted off there's no way I'd bother indicating in a 4 jaw
setup.

Getting older makes you lazy too!!!! ;)

Rick

I get into so many different shaped parts, I need to know that each jaw, has the proper amount of pressure on the part.
When working with thin wall parts, this is very important.
With a three jaw chuck, that is not possible, unless it is a three jaw independant and I have only seen one of those. :cool:

As you know there are centering rings on the face of the four jaw. I augmented these with additional groves interspaced between the originals. That little mod gets me close enough for most work with out having to dial it in. If the task at hand dictates an indicator is required, an dedicated indicator holder that I made for the quick change tool post makes speedy work of that. Last but not least I am a practitioner of the 2 chuck key method of setting up the chuck and I highly recommend it.

I didn't invent the two key method, I learned it, and a ton of other things from the guy in the first video Mr Pete 222 AKA Tubal Cain

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npJfKhkS0QE[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsIaYm7g9n[/ame]

Latest posts

Back