For a nice finishing touch.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgbrv8

Reaction score
These are some decorative knurls that I've acquired over the years I use them on flat stock round stone and profiles. They give that nice finishing touch to a piece.

David

409245_3430115718522_1439230280_33505136_380383055_n.jpg

I'd love to see some pictures of the results you get with these!

Simon

They look great! What a nice change from the simple diamond or straight cut knurling.

Jim

I will post a pic of what the knurled peices look like. Oddly enough all the the things I have knurled in the past werent for anything of mine. Right now I am makeing a nice little box to hold these precious little gems.

David

Here are some pictures of the progress

David

Knurl.jpg

Knurl.jpg (1).JPG

Hi David,
I'm no Saddler but are they not meant for embossing leather belts etc.
Ned

No leather emboss tools have a lot more pronounced tooling. Also leather embossing tools are nowhere near as hard as these in the Rockwell scale and are usually significantly larger in diameter. These are a very rare item in the world of machining the perverbial hens tooth. Each one is the work of a master die maker. When ever these do appear on the market they usually command a very high price. This year at cabin fever a vender and good friend of mine has a large number of them but they were not cheap.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/fancy-knurls-95985/

David

It appears that a hand held tool is used for the application of these knurls, or does the knurl wheel get installed into the usual cross slide tool holder as more common practice?

BC1
Jim

That application uses a hand wheel witch i still may make but I made a arbor that can be held in a aloris tool holder for the lathe and a collect for flat work on the mill. The handwheel would be nice when I do metal spinning.

Dave

I saw some items like this at a flea market and I assumed they were wheels used by bookbinders to impress patterns on bound books. There were a lot of other printing items for sale by that guy. If I ever see any of these, how do I tell the difference between the knurls and the bookbinder wheels?

--ShopShoe

Keep a small file with you and ask the owner if it is okay to check the hardness of them. If you file the inner bore or small ID and if the file won't or nearly wont file you have metal acceptable knurls. Anything under $40 each is a real deal and depend on the detal and depth of engraving they can go over $100. Now if they are not hardened you might be able to get them and harden them yourself.

Dave

Latest posts

Back