First some praise, then a question.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thought and guys forgive me if this was mentioned but did you lock the z axis. The z axis is notoriously unreliable as far as amount of down feed I always use a dial indicator on the z. Typically unlocking and locking the z axis lock will give about 3 thousands of down feed. So you may be taking a deeper cut than you think also be aware a mill cutter can dig down and pull out of the holder or collet if not property tightened.
hope this helps
Tin

Tin- I did have the Z locked and then slid the column stop block up and locked it to make sure the head wasn't slipping down.

I guess I worded the original post wrong making the finish seam most important. I will try using some lube next time and see if it improves.

My question was about the spindle bearings. The spindle is not turning in a flat circle. It is lifting .001 in both +Y and -Y axis. Those odd measurements + finish made me think the bearings were shot. I checked a Grainger catalog today at work to check the tolerances of bearings. Considering I was taking my readings in a 6" circle, the error doesn't seam bad now. I just wasn't able to wrap my head around what my DTI was telling me.

Thanks for the input from all of you. I am going to check out a lathe tomorrow night. With any luck I'll be posting pictures of the engines I'll be making instead of "whats wrong with my mill". :)

Hobgoblin: If I might suggest...have you turned the 'flat glass' 90 degrees and tried the y tram?
Is the flatness of the glass known? I agree that this it searching for straws, but you are trying to
get it right. I do not believe that your spindle bearings are the problem. Might try running the spindle
at various speeds for 30 minutes and see it the tram changes.
Basically I think you are good to go.
Maybe try a fly cutter on a piece and see what pattern you get.
Wish my X2 trammed as good as yours. I can get close quickly and then spend the rest of the day fighting the
last thousandth of an inch.
Make some chips and let us know how you come out.

John Burchett
in Byng OK

Latest posts

Back