First run with IC engine!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elias

Reaction score
Hello!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tce_YSrKxFA[/ame]

I just got my first IC engine running for more then 2 sec!

I almost put my fingers in the spinning propeller before i realized that it was actually running on more fuel then the little prime portion i put i the cylinder to start it!

It is based on an engine called "BJ Cicada" i think i found the plans here.
But i redraw it to a (for me)more usable metric version. It runs on model diesel fuel.

The bore is Ø11,43mm most because of that this fitted my tools. The stroke is approx 13mm.

I guess my next step will be to make a better fuel tank!

IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG

Reactions: gus
Congratulations on your successful engine. It sounds great. That propeller looks like it could do some damage to fingers...play safe!

Cheers,
Phil

Hallo Ellias,

Good work you did by making this engine which has a strong family tradition with the BJ CICADA engine i built and showed on this website some time ago.
Be ware of keeping your fingers out of the steel propellor circle because i was a few times seriously hit by my CICADA engine which has only a small plastic propellor.
I wish you lots of success with your small engine work it gives great feelings to see and hear it running after all.

modelmotor-Gerard from The Netherlands-Europe.

Very nice build. Runs & sounds great. Be very carefull with props. Look too my finger.

Foto650-86QJN847.jpg

Foto650-KGT4ANMS.jpg

Reason???? I was leaning my needle on the venturi. It hurt sooo much that I almost pissed in my pants.....

Barry

Ohhh, that looks nasty, but if it can't hurt you it's not worth doing :)
I'll try to keep my fingers out of the steel propp..

I think i shall change to a plastic any how, I guess that the motor will run better and with less wear if the propeller was not so heavy.

I have no experience with model aircrafts so I lack the "feeling" for propeller size/weight vs. motor size. I just took what i had in an arms range and screwed it on, eager to get it running!

Yep....if you are going to "benchfly" a model engine.....use a conventional flywheel!

My brother got his fingers in the path of a 500 watt eletric stetup at about half throutle, it hit his finger nails so it didn't do as much damage as it could have (just shattered a couple of finger nails without much blood) but he says it hurt like crazy!

I like the flywheel option myself for static display.

John.

Last edited:
Back