First post!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampower88

Reaction score
Hello everyone from Rochester ny! I'm a welder machinist that has always wanted to build model engines. I'm a big fan of steam engines and hit and miss engines. I'm looking to build a steam fire engine that I can pump water at fire musters and steam pageants in the area because I'm a fireman in the area and I'm into the old stuff like that. I'm here to get some info on boilers and engines to make this a reality! Thanks everyone!

Charlie

Welcome, sounds an interesting project. I've seen a couple of the old horse drawn fire engines, is this something that you are aiming for? Building a large enough boiler to power an engine to power a pump to tackle flames is a pretty tall order. You may want to check out the boiler regulations in your area. As I imagine you will need it certified and insured especially if you intend on public displays. I'm sure others may point you in the right direction for where to seek advice for boilers. In the meantime you may like this, a show that was held close by to me in England, celebrating old firetrucks.

2017-09-04_08-18-15.jpg

Hi and welcome to the club Charlie. Lots of good knowledge available here on both steam engines and pumps.

Yes I'd like to make it more hand drawn the horse drawn in size. 2 1/2" nst intake and a 2 1/2" discharge so I can put on a double wye Siamese on it for a 1 1/2" hand line with a straight tip nozzle. The boiler size I'm looking at is a 20 o.d. Vertical fire tube or a Ofeldt style with. In that shell. I'm thinking the Ofeldt would be cheaper to produce and has a faster steam time. As far as the engine goes I'm looking to to build two ray hasbrouck number ones and make a double keyed flywheel to put it in between the two like a double cylinder American lafrance style set up. I have enough told farm equipment around me I'm sure I'll find running gear for it no problem.

I do have one suggestion on the boiler, if you intend to be exhibiting at shows ect. And demonstrations, could I say making provisions to fit an automatic water level alarm might be an idea, that way if you are distracted talking or explaining something to the public, you know you'll have an audible alarm if the water gets too low. Model loco engines have them fitted for the same reason, they are stood waiting to go, and often the drivers are talking with fellow enthusiasts and forget to keep an eye on the level. It would be an addition level of security against failure, the last line been the fusable plug, which although spectacular when it goes is very costly to replace. :eek:

Latest posts

Back