First Model Engine Completed - Elmer Number 25

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am very happy to post pictures of my first completed engine. A very simple and straightforward wobbler project - Elmer number 25 in fact.

IMG_9568%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

IMG_9569%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

IMG_9571%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

IMG_9572%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

woohoo1

This was a hugely rewarding project. It had just the right amount of challenges for a novice machinist, and really provided a great introduction to general machining practices.

I did take two shortcuts on it. The crank disc and cylinder are missing the "finishing touches". That is - the crank disc was left simply circular, rather than cut out in the traditional "balanced" shape, and the chamfers are left off the cylinder block.

I did try to cut a crank disc to shape, but it looked really awful - being just hand cut and filed, and I decided to solve a means of making a more pretty version for my next engine another day. Same goes for the Chamfers.

But I took no shortcuts on the main workings, and so I am very happy with the final engine. It's a real boost to see it run, and hopefully I can post some video over the next day or so.

Thanks all, there was a lot of info gleaned from this forum in order to bring this to completion, and so it is now time to consider what to make next. I am seriously considering scaling up Elmers number 14 a bit.

Nice work, congratulations on engine #1Thm:. And yes, you might go back to it and dress it up someday.

I just put the finishing touches on an engine I built 4 years ago. It was mechanically complete and running back then but in four years I learned how to make a lot of the bits that help to finish it off.

Cheers,
Phil

Very nice job.
The beauty of these engines is that you can always go back to do more finish touches.

Wayne

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

I managed to get a little short clip of it running on compressed air, which is here for your amusement. :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6WHIHeielE[/ame]

Well done on your first engine. I like what you did with the flywheel. Elmer's wobbler was also my first engine (which I believe is where you got the idea for the base), and I too found it the perfect engine for a beginner. Do you have any plans on what you are going to make next?

You are correct on the base - after seeing yours I wanted to do something beefier there. I thought for my next engine I might try Elmers number 14 with the wobble plate. It's a bit more complex, but not too much. I thought I might scale it up a bit, for no reason other than I feel like making a bigger engine.

I don't feel ready to do a set of castings yet. Several parts here needed to be remade - although the Cylinder I got right first time. Arguably the most complex piece of this engine. Which may be why it came out right first time - it demanded a lot of thought up front.

Anyway, another bar stock engine next for sure, leaning towards the 14, it is a nice engine.

Latest posts

Back