Finished modeling up engine, now time to build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One last video then off to another project.
I have two in mind one is a ignition box for my IC engines and the other is to try and get a old music box running.
Thanks again for the nice comments.
For a project for a Christmas present I want to find a nice mill steam engine to build. I want to make sure I start this one in time to be sure and get it done in time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1g6T-ILy-Y[/ame]

doc1955 said:
Well I was busy in shop today last Christmas vacation will be over tomorrow and back to work :'(
So I'll only get a couple hours in the shop every day I'm hoping to get these done by the 15Th I'm going to have to pick up the pace.

Today I did the main bearing mounts.
I had some .5 x1.0 brass just begging to get used so here we go.
SHAFTMOUNT1.jpg

I cut pieces off the width of the bearing mounts. The .5 thickness of material will be sufficient for both top and bottom halves.

SHAFTMOUNT4.jpg

cut the mounting tabs to a thickness of .125 plus drilled mounting holes.

SHAFTMOUNT5.jpg

cut the width of top halve.

SHAFTMOUNT6.jpg

Separated the halves.

SHAFTMOUNT7.jpg

They fit together nicely.

SHAFTMOUNT8.jpg

I hand ground a form cutter for the top radius.

SHAFTMOUNT10.jpg

Assembled and ready for the .250 dia hole.

SHAFTMOUNT9.jpg

SHAFTMOUNT11.jpg

Milled up a little jig to hold part in vise while drilling.

SHAFTMOUNT12.jpg

Finished assembly.

Hope I not boring everyone to death here.

Not boring at all....that was freakin great! I like how you made a special tool to cut the radius on the bearing blocks...nice job!

sorry for the delay doc, I wish to compliment you for these very beautiful engines: they both run as Swiss clocks

great job :bow: :bow: :bow:

Well I have decided I'll be tearing down number 1 and giving it a little polishing and paint I have decided I like how number 2 had turned out.
My father-in-law has been showing his off to people I think he likes it.
I'll post a pic of number 1 when I get done with the polish and paint.
Thanks every one for the kind comments this has been a fun little project it took longer than I planned but than again it was my first build in my home shop.

Well I have been feeling under the weather for over the last weeks I finally felt up to getting out to the shop to do a little work.
I decided to paint up my motor like the one I made for my father-in-law so I finally started.

First off disassemble motor.
flywheel7-1.jpg

Then I decided to start with the fly wheel here I cut chamfers on the spokes with a hand dremel tool.
flywheel1-1.jpg

Then some coarse emery paper to somewhat round the spokes.
flywheel2-1.jpg

Here is after the emery treatment.
flywheel3-1.jpg

Then sandblasted getting ready for the paint.
flywheel4-1.jpg

flywheel5-1.jpg

After paint.
flywheel6-1.jpg

Next I'll sandblast and paint the side plates. Then it will be a matter of polishing all the little parts which I have started.

That paint really sets off the bright metal nicely, Doc.
Those Altoids tins are handy, eh?

Dean

Doc,

Nice flywheel.

What material is it made from?

It sure looks like you did a lot of hard work making it look so good.

SAM

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Sam they were made from 7075 t6 aluminum.

Yes Dean I like those little can plus you get a tasty mints with them :big: you don't need any do you I think I may have 40 or 50 of them laying around hate to just toss they are just to nice to throw out.

Well did some more polishing work and started putting things back together.

P5300047.jpg

P5300050.jpg

Thanks Zee

I finished reassembly and I'm happy with the way it looks now. Here are some pictures of it.

number1-3f.jpg

number1-3f.jpg

number1-2f.jpg

Here is a short video of it running. I like how the piece of counter top I have it setting on really makes it load

This motor I feel is completed now now I can officially move one to a new motor.
I'm looking at building a Stirling fan.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBTJbw14Z0g[/ame]

Hope mine turns out like that Doc,I've just finished the beam and bearings,I think black looks good for this engine ,I did intend to paint it green ,same as my other engines.
Don

Doc,

The black paint and polished metal looks really good together.

The engine sounds good too.

Thanks for sharing.

SAM

I like all that mechanical intricacy, with the frame and all the moving parts,
Very nice design layout, everything is so nicely proportioned to give it a very nice balanced look for the whole model....

one BEAUTIFUL mechanical model.,,, Indeed...

Now that's an engine!

what a nice sound. I played the video 4 times!

thanks for this post,

tom

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

I started working on some parts for the next project will start a new build thread as soon as I get some pictures together and a little more work done. It will be a double build again this time it will be a gift for Christmas for my Father-in-law.

:big:Tom I don't know why when I set it on that piece of counter top it sure echoes.

Doc,
She's a beauty!
Dennis

Back