Finished modeling up engine, now time to build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
Well I'm just about finished modeling up a walking beam engine. I started with Oldboatguys and changed a lot of it to my take and checked clearances and linkage lengths and such.
Going to start to build one for a birthday gift.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQp9-VPxASk[/ame]

Hi Doc

Nice show - thank you !

What CAD are you using ?

I use NX6 Unigraphics I can export to a lot of different solids.
I've gotten spoiled I model most things p before I go into build mode to check everything out and add my take on things. When i get project built I'll do some drawings.
I use to scribble some design on a piece of paper and adjust as I went but Like I said I now am spoiled and have to do a lot less adjustments I do them in the virtual world instead.
Well I'm heading to the shop and try and get some thing done today.

Well I decided to build 2 engines one for a birthday gift and one to add to my own collection.
I didn't have any plate stock the proper thickness so I took some .250 I got the material to size and started drilling holes at all the corner locations. I'll use them to line up all the angle cuts by putting pins through the holes and pull them up to a straight edge and clamp them down and mill from hole to hole.
I'll do that tomorrow and I'll post some pics.

PS I here is a little tip you may or may not already use but I have done this for some time. When drilling small holes and switching from center drill and back to drill I use to constantly drop or lose one or the other. So I grabbed a magnet and place it on top of my vise an there you go you have a small tool holder to keep them from getting knocked off or dropped. Anyway just thought I'd mention it. Works extremely well when machining non-magnetic material not so good with magnetic.

Cut out side plate windows and profile.
I used a piece of aluminum plate for a holding jig.
I lined up a 1/4 cutter with edge of holding jig. Then loaded side plates using 2 the 1/4 holes with pins up against the jig edge. Things went pretty good.and I now have the side plates done as far as I'm going with them untill I get them put together. I will then drill holes for mounting the shaft and link mounts.

IMG_1.jpg

IMG_3.jpg

IMG_5.jpg

IMG_2.jpg

Here I'm cutting the surfaces that the bearing mounts get attached.

And the sides with all windows cut out next I'll do the spacer shafts.

IMG_6.jpg

IMG_9.jpg

Didn't get a lot done today. Did get the spacers parted off faced to length and drilled and taped each end.
I turned a groove in each end and milled a hex to give them the illusion of a jam nut.
SPACER1.jpg

SPACER2.jpg

I assembled side temporary I am going to order some hex head machine screws didn't have any on hand.
SIDEAY1.jpg

Going back out in the shop to see if iI can get started on the cylinder mounting blocks next.

good start on the engine doc, I built it too and I'll look forward on your progress

very good work on the cad drawings too, I would like to learn it but till now my attempts were unsuccesfull :-\

Thanks!
I do cad for work I'm a tool design engineer by trade.

Well I got the mounting blocks for the cylinders done and the cylinders.

cylinder1.jpg

Shot of the slot milling. I milled slots the original was holes but I changed it to three slots.

cylinder2.jpg

cylinder3.jpg

cylinder5.jpg

Here they are mounted into frame.

Next I'll start on bearing mount blocks for the crank and beam.

Well I was busy in shop today last Christmas vacation will be over tomorrow and back to work :'(
So I'll only get a couple hours in the shop every day I'm hoping to get these done by the 15Th I'm going to have to pick up the pace.

Today I did the main bearing mounts.
I had some .5 x1.0 brass just begging to get used so here we go.
SHAFTMOUNT1.jpg

I cut pieces off the width of the bearing mounts. The .5 thickness of material will be sufficient for both top and bottom halves.

SHAFTMOUNT4.jpg

cut the mounting tabs to a thickness of .125 plus drilled mounting holes.

SHAFTMOUNT5.jpg

cut the width of top halve.

SHAFTMOUNT6.jpg

Separated the halves.

SHAFTMOUNT7.jpg

They fit together nicely.

SHAFTMOUNT8.jpg

I hand ground a form cutter for the top radius.

SHAFTMOUNT10.jpg

Assembled and ready for the .250 dia hole.

SHAFTMOUNT9.jpg

SHAFTMOUNT11.jpg

Milled up a little jig to hold part in vise while drilling.

SHAFTMOUNT12.jpg

Finished assembly.

Hope I not boring everyone to death here.

Not boring at all, Doc.

I'm quite impressed. Man, that's some tiny work!! :bow:

Boring? No way, thanks for sharing your progress!

Boring? No no no, That is a very good looking rod and everything else is right on too.
Keep up the good work.

Ron

doc1955 said:
Hope I not boring everyone to death here.

Not me. I haven't said much (maybe nothing come to think of it) but I've been watching! Please continue! I've been enjoying the details and learnings.

Nice work Doc, really nice. I like the design of beam engine but the frame puts me off having a go looks too complex for me!
We've just got NX6 at work and the rendering stuff on it is really impressive. You can get photo like models from it now.

Nick

Thanks for the comments.

Nick
We use NX5 at work and Delcam in the tooling shop for programming.
UG NX series are very impressive with what you can do.
Have you ever went to any of the user group meeting for UG NX.
I've attended a few for work last year was in Nashville and it will be there again next year.

Doc,

Strictly speaking I'm not a CAD user but I know a little bit to get by so to speak and I went on a week long NX2 course when I first joined. Never been to a user group meeting but one of the guys in our office may have. A trip across to Nashville sounds nice but I can't ever see it happening unfortunately! :(

A beam engine is about 6 down on my list of projects, I was hoping to base it on a nice french design but I like the oldboatguy 1 too so will be watching this with much interest!

Nick

Well did the fly wheels I don't own an rotary table yet so did the without.
First I picked out a piece of drop end 1.05 thick.
flywheel1.jpg

Looks like this piece will work just fine.

Now to rough it out so I don't have to much material to turn off on the lathe.
flywheel14.jpg

On to the lathe in the 4 jaw to rough them out.
flywheel2.jpg

Now switched to 3 jaw to finish first side and drill and ream shaft hole.

flywheel3.jpg

Then I switched to the 5c collet to finish second side.
flywheel4.jpg

Here are the finished blanks.
flywheel5.jpg

Now off to the mill to drill 1/4 holes in all the corners to be used to locate and mill out the spokes.

flywheel6.jpg

Here is the blank with all holes drilled.
flywheel7.jpg

Loaded on fixture to mill from hole to hole.
flywheel8.jpg

Here all holes have been connected using the little fixture.

flywheel11.jpg

Here is what the little shop aid looks like. Not much to it 2 holes 2 pins and 2 clamps.
flywheel10.jpg

ok

now

no

laughing

at

the

next hight tech tool ;)

Finishing to the inside radius of the flywheel caution is needed. I used a 1/4 stripper bolt and for the leaver apiece of 2x2 that was handy. I used a 3/16 dia. cutter so things wouldn't get away from me. It worked out very well. Doesn't look pretty but it works.
flywheel12.jpg

And here is the finished fly wheels.
flywheel13.jpg

Next I think I'll work on the crank shaft.

Holy Cow, Doc! Talk about making do with what you have!

Those flywheels look great!

Back