Finished Another Oscillator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyboy

Reaction score
A couple of photos of my newest oscillator. In my original post, I called the wrong bore, it's really 3/8" bore x 3/4" stroke, double action. 2" diameter flywheel. I started these (two of them) back in November, just got it "finished" (are they ever really good enough?) this past week.

The flywheel side.

IMGP0286a.jpg

The cylinder and air passages shown

IMGP0285a.jpg

Here's a quick video of it running on an aquarium pump. (sorry, only 8 seconds, that's all I can get out of dial-up land).

I put a tach on it with regulated air from a compressor, it ran from 80 RPM to over 3500 RPM at 12 PSI. Holy smoke! Enjoy.

DB

Great build! Super nice! Thanks for posting the video. :bow:

Can you tell us what type of plastic material its made of?

-MB

MB, Thanks for the compliment. The plastic is unknown "acrylic" that I got a yard sale a couple of years ago. They told me it was a tool for installing car windshields. ??? Originally about 3/4" x 2" x60" long. I machined it carefully, then polished down to 1500 grit and then Meguiar's Plast-X polish to bring up the shine.

DB,

Very nice engine. Particularly impressive finish on the plastic.

Dennis

Davyboy,

WOW
wow.gif

Best Regards
Bob

That is one cool engine. Very well done. Thm: Thm:

I think I may be infected with Oscillatoritis :big:
I love these. Excellent job DB.

Mo.

Davyboy,
I love the idea Thm: Thm:
This way you get to see all the whistles and bells moving around!
Tony

When I first read about 'see-thru' engines a long time ago, I thought to myself what a stupid idea. Good for illustrative or educational purposes I thought, ::) but not much else. Well, after now seeing your little gem I have to admit I was way off base in my earlier presumptions. Tht is a fine looking engine and it displays a very high quality of workmanship. :bow: I may have to break out that sheet of acrylic sheet I have stashed away in the rafters and do some playing. ;D Kudos to you Tony, well done.

BC1

Cool engines DB. The clear body showing the internal working parts is a nice touch. Folks at model shows especially appreciate the view :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Very Very Nice ! :bow: :bow:
Apologies if this is a silly question, but what do you use for lubrication on it ?

Well Done!
Regards, Arnold

Thanks to all, for the kind words. I've seen the work you all have posted here, mine doesn't hold a candle...

Arnold, for lube I use Marvel Mystery oil. The cylinder turns in brass bushings 3/16 ID x 1/8 " long. The oil also serves to lube and seal the faces of the cylinder and block. Crank is on shielded ball bearings.

Thanks again for noticing. DB

Nice one Davyboy, I wish I was patient enough to get a finish like that... :bow:

Beautiful DB !!!! Without doubt, the most interesting of the see through engines I have seen. I will file away the tip about the Meguires polish too. The results are most impressive!!

Bill

That is a beautiful engine. Are there plans somewhere?
A friend just gave me a piece of acrylic so I would like to try it.
Thank You
John

Hi John. Sorry, I haven't been around lately. For plans, I usually sketch something up on AutoCAD for the main layout. Getting the ports timed with stroke and 'crank to pivot' pin distance is a bit tricky. Then it's out to the shop and I usually 'wing it' from there on. Small bushings and spacers are made as needed, and the connecting rod was cut to length and threaded last, after I had the cylinder and crankshaft in assembly. Maybe that's why it takes me only 4 months to finish a project. :big: I couldn't "hold" a size if I wanted to, many adjustments are necessary :-X

I don't have a complete set of drawings. I'd be happy to forward you what I have for drawings or more detailed photos if you PM me.
You should probably check the 'Special Materials' heading here on HMEM, look for 'acrylic' thread, some good pointers in there.
Please let me know if I can help. DB

Latest posts

Back