Finger Plate

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariolucchini

Reaction score
One of the most gratifying tasks we modelers can undertake, is the construction of our own tools....at least this is my personal way of seeing things....

A long caressed project from way back then, was the design & building of a finger plate....I just made the decision of making one for my use....since I used one of a friend of mine, I now wonder how I did without it....

I made a thorough search in the web, not finding much, but what little I learned I added to my personal needs....so here we go....

I started with the base, which I produced from a discarded PC aluminium heat sink, from which I hacksawed the fins and made a long and boring flycutting sesion.... ::)

Here it is, finally sanded and polished....the four sides are at exact 90º from each other so it can be used in my milling table and in the miniature table saw....

P3040002.jpg

P3040001.jpg

Notice that the upper face of the base has 3 milled "V" ways for holding different size round material...also there are 8 threaded holes which are mighty useful for holding the most used screws or bolts I mostly use in my models....these are from the smaller up....1.2 mm, 1.4 mm, 1.7 mm, 2 mm, 3 mm, 4 mm, 5 mm and 6 mm.

The bottom face of the base....

P3040003.jpg

P3040014.jpg

If you should want to use the finger plate on the vise, a screwed bar was devised which is applied via countersunk brass screws from below...

P3040010.jpg

P3040009.jpg

The pillar, made from BMS and threaded M6, the lower threaded portion is made in such a way that you can fix it to the base with just finger pressure....I intend to make a wooden box in a time to come to keep the whole safe & sound.... so the pillar must be removable...:big:...besides I love making special wooden boxes!!!!... :big: :big: :big:

P3040019.jpg

The pillar in place on the base...................

P3030007.jpg

P3030006.jpg

The clamp, made from 4 mm thick brass.......the lower ends are slightly angled so they can rest parallel to the base when in use....

P3040016.jpg

P3040017.jpg

P3040018.jpg

The clamping knob & the special washer.............

P3040022.jpg

P3040021.jpg

The special washer that goes under the clamping knob, is rounded on the undernath so that it gives good grabbing power at any angle......

P3040020.jpg

The adjuster screw...........Made from an M 4 bolt, with a heavily knurled brass knob, has the added finesse of using an acrylic point so as not to marr the plate's surface when tightening it.......... :bow:

P3040024.jpg

P3040025.jpg

Here's an image of the threaded holes being occupied with an example of each bolt of different dimensions....

P3030017.jpg

In a next post, I'll show the finger plate assembled and in use............

Thanks for looking.........

Mario

Very nice Mario, I've made a couple of these in the past, but pretty crude ones compared to this!

That is a very handy looking item indeed. I'm looking forward to seeing more about it's uses.

Ray

Nice, Mario. A lot better than mine. Useful things, finger plates.

Hi Mario,

Looks nice and I am curious to see what it will be used for, I have never heard of this device before..... :-[

Regards Jeroen

Hi boys!

The finger plate is finished and a special box was made to keep it safe & sound...... ::)

The parts of the ensemble, including a special screwdriver to screw in the special base for using it in the vise....

P3300010.jpg

The finger plate assembled showing some of its infinite uses.....

A brass bar in one of the "V" ways, ready to be crossdrilled....

P3300003.jpg

The same brass bar in one of the corner "V" ways, ready to be filed or rectified via a grinder....

P3300004.jpg

A small hinge to be filed......the clamping action of the finger plate is really powerful, when it bites.....well................. ;D

P3300006.jpg

P3300008.jpg

The finished box with all its inlettings.....

P3300011.jpg

The box with its contents....

P3300013.jpg

P3300012.jpg

The closed box.............by the way, the box was made entirely in 3 mm thick plywood....

P3300014.jpg

P3300015.jpg

Another homemade tool for the collection............

Cheers!

Mario

Hi Mario,

Very nice work on the whole project. I know of at least one person who will be making one of these in the near future. I'm betting there will be others.

Ray

Mario

A super job both on the Finger Plate and accessories as well as the lovely case that will house it and keep all of its components together so that they are available when you want to use it. Thanks for showing it to us. I am sure that it will end up on many to-do lists. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

This is great Mario! Suburb build (as usual) and love the box you made. Thats really putting the last point on the i!!

Looking forward to see more from your work and for sure I will build one of these too!

Thanks for showing and sharing.

Regards Jeroen

OK - I'm just going to quit, now, and wade into the river.... I'll never be worthy.

Mario - that's a stellar piece of work. Not just the, well, 'making' of it, but the overall design, conception, thought, detail, finish -- hell, the BOX! OH - and the consideration and quality of your effort photographing, describing, and posting it for all of us!

(Uhhh, where're the detailed measured drawings and parts list and free kit offer...? >;-)

I bow to you, sir. You've made my day, just knowing there're craftsmen out there making objects that Aristotle would've said: "now that's (some Greek philosophy word meaning some kind of unattainable thing like 'quality')..."

Cheers, Andrew

Very nice! Makes me want to build a new version of mine (I already have 2, but they are pretty basic).

Not sure I understand the need for the different sized bolt holes. Can you give me an example of how they might be used?

Thx...
Chuck

Amongst all the great posts on this forum there is the occasional gem like this. Something you never knew you needed until you see one. Then it's not just made, its finished down to the last detail.

Mario; OK its not an engine but if you haven't done already you must put it into this months 'finished projects' lottery.

Love it.

Pete

A tool worthy of the fine box and accessories.

Suggestion: Stamp (or engrave) your name and date onto the tool. If it doesn't stay in your family, one day, maybe 100 years ago, there'll be a forum like this (probably via telepathy) and someone will talk about the beautiful hand-made tool from a bygone era. :)

Latest posts

Back