Finger engine (just for grins!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgjessing

Reaction score
Feeling the need to make a gizmo, but not wanting to take on a major project, I thought I'd try my hand at a finger engine :)

I'm following the plans of the "NAMES Vertical Finger Engine" (TDP 2/2005), but with some cosmetic differences.

finger_engine%20001.jpg

Kind of at a standstill now waiting for fasteners to arrive... Not sure if that's the final flywheel, may fancy up the connecting rod some. I suppose I could do some polishing and wood work whilst waiting, I suppose. ;D

(That last comment from the Department of Redundancy Department)

Looks good. I have the stock to build one and am waiting on some stuff for mill so I can get started. I will watch with interest!

Not finished, but functional:

finger_engine%20004.jpg

Borrowed the flywheel from my first Stirling engine, which is worn out and not currently operational. The temporary wood base is that tall because all I had in 8-32 screws were 2" long. I'll replace the pan head screws on the connecting rod ends with hex head cap screws as soon as my Micro Fasteners order arrives next week. Lots of polishing to do.

Kinda fun to play with ;D

I'm thinking a two "cylinder" follow up is in my future.

Is the design from the NAMES show booklet? Looks good. Make the fly wheel as heavey as possible at the outside Dia ring.

Done enough:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrB8FRDkYNs[/ame]

;D

Sweeeet!!!!! ;D

Looks like that guy is going to give you many hours of fun!!!! :big:

Andrew

They're fun little time wasters, aren't they? Nice job.

Seems to have a smooth action. (now if we could just get the moiion motivator to time up). ;D :big:

Nicely done DG Thm:

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back