Finding cutters for a face mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portlandron

Reaction score
I have a R-8 shank face mill. It's the type that uses brazed carbide tipped cutters. The cutters have a 1/2" square steel shank with a hole in it to attach the cutters. I have looked at the Enco and on line and can't find any replacement cutters.

Where can I get them?

Cutter photo

cutter.jpg

It's obsolete. I hate to say it but you are the proud owner of a R-8 face mill door stop.

The holder is a lot younger then I am so if it's obsolete what does that make me?

No don't answer that I don't want to know!

If something is inexpensive and it works, someone will improve it..... :fan:

Rick

A friend just bought a RF mill/drill that came with a face mill that took cutters like this or at least I'm pretty sure they looked like these. I'll look at his to see if there is a brand listed on it or not.

If you really wanted to use this fairly out of date design, you could just buy some standard cheapo brazed tip lathe tools of the correct shank size (or even slightly larger and machine down to size) and cut them to length, then drill the hole through. You would need to make a whole matched set, just to make sure they were all exactly the same.

It might work, it might not, but if it does, then you are onto a winner, you will have a tool that will last a lifetime.

Nothing is ever a throw away until every direction, angle and corner has been explored.

John

Those cutters look simple enough to make. For me the issue is did it work really well or just ok. The cutter looks like it is not adjustable when mounted, so that each cutter is mounted on the face mill and then ground on afixture so that each cutter is cutting the same as the others. A fixture that you likely do not have.

I have purchased carbide blanks and brazed themto shanks to make some grooving tools, it is slow going, even with a 6" diamond wheel as well as SC wheel, you also need a diamond cutoff wheel to cut the carbide to lenght. It is a surprising PITA to do.

If that tool is better than its newer replacment then make the cutters, otherwise use it for a door stop, and buy one that takes carbide inserts.

Back