Excellent Tap Chart with Specials

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My drill index box lid lists tap and clearance drill sizes for most common imperial threads. The tap sizes are typically at the 75% fit size. I normally go one size up for steel to make tapping easier, and use the recommended sizes for aluminum and brass.

I guess I failed to articulate this well. This chart has the NS (National Special) threads and their required drill size. All of my other charts do not, including the Little Machine Shop one. Point being, it has all the threads in one nice chart. Easy enough to grab the info and print it for the shop wall.

I should not have used the word "excellent" to describe it. I should have titled the post "Tap Chart that includes National Special threads at 75%." :idea:

Nice chart but the entire chart can be replaced with a single equation that will also allow for all values of depth-of-thread.

Marv,
The tap chart is quicker and does not require bateries.
Yes I have a spread sheet to work our special cases like NS.
It still takes longer than glancing at the LARGE print tap chart on the shop wall.
Dan

Thanks Bob.
gbritnell

I find that chart way too busy with the mix of metric and Imperial. A guy from another forum made an etched Al chart with the tap drills added as a % of thread depth, that is darn handy, the second is a website ( http://www.newmantools.com/tapdrill.htm#top) this is a calcilator, that I leave on the disktop. So last week a .900 X 24 thread was needed, whats the tap drill size, instant gradification, 7/8 x 36, 15/16 x 20, yeah, I have those taps.

Back