Ever noticed the woodwork people?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they're like me, they originally signed up to DL some plans that someone posted. Many may never build the item, but never bother to remove the account.

And friendly place or not, seeing the stuff that some people turn out (seemingly effortlessly), it's a big step to posting your own rather feeble attempts.

I actually dislike forums that have a "thanks for signing up, now go introduce yourself over in this thread" policy. Great for everybody that wants to, but for some reason I never really liked it. Good thing this forum doesn't care that much :D

I'm glad this came up. I lurk around here and on other machine shop forums. What happened to me on another forum of a different topic probably has shyed me away from saying anything unless it's a necessity. I'm 58 years old and have always had a hobby. I built model cars, planes and ships for years and years since I was a kid, and still do. I also build wooden sailing ships plank by plank and rig them. I also have a small lathe/mill that I tinker with. I tried to be active on a very popular plastic model building website, and was pretty much ignored. I asked about it and stirred up the pot. It seems that the people on that forum site are in a clique, and I wasn't part of it. I'm not pinning any ribbons on myself, but I can build a damn good model airplane with fine detail. I'd post a picture and wouldn't get a single reply. Then there would be somebody who's in this clique that would post a picture of something that was good but not great and they would get 4 pages of responses about what a marvelous job they had done. It totally discouraged me from posting. I posted about how I was ignored and got tons of replies from people who said they were in the same boat. I've posted on few different wooden model ship building forums and I got a better response. Most of the ship builders I know are older gentleman, could that be the reason for the better response? Anyway, I really plan to gear up and start turning some metal soon, and I will try to be active here and at the few other forums tha I like to frequent. Hope I'll be accepted and learn something and maybe even be able to help someone. Thanks to everyone.
Ken

kennyb said:
Hope I'll be accepted and learn something and maybe even be able to help someone. Thanks to everyone. Ken

Everyone here is accepted which is the tasteful flavor of it all. At my skill level just getting the nail in without hitting fingers is an accomplishment, but still I do the "Look what I can happy dance" I, like many, am just a compulsive tinker, the thrill and grief both lye (lie, lay ?) lay in the problem solving.

And the projects presented seem to cycle, goes thru (through) such works of art that newbie's like me really avoid posting. But post anyway, its the only way others can give it a look over and altho (although) responses may be short, fairly certain that should a safety query present itself, it will be addressed. That in itself is invaluable.

Robert

OK, I feel like I should add my 2 cents:

I am in Learning Mode lately and it has been too cold for much work in the shop.

I have started a few replies to various posts and then decided I really wasn't adding much useful information to the topic under discussion, so I let it be.

I log on and read new posts almost every day to stay in touch with what's going on.

I really appreciate the way the members of this forum work to be supportive and encourage those of us who are learning. I have also lurked on other forums (for my other interests) and have noticed that some of them seem to be mutual admiration societies for small circles of members who enjoy ignoring or ridiculing those not members of their club.

Thanks again to all those who have helped me with my requests so far and those who have acknowledged what I have posted.

I think when it warms up again I'll be back at it (I have started an engine and some other tooling projects) and I'll get some posts going.

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back