Ever noticed the woodwork people?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JorgensenSteam

Does anyone notice all the strange screen names you see at the top of a post when you are reading.

There must be people out the ying yang who stay in the woodwork, and just read, but never post.

I see bunches of them.

Yes, it makes me wonder why they can't at least say 'hello', 'nice work', 'how did you do that' or something simple along that line, just to let us know their alive! Maybe their mindless 'computer bots' from another dimension gathering technical information.

You know, we are practicing a mystical 'lost art'. ;D

Ying-Yang = 6,000 members!!!!!!

-MB

LMAO!!! ;D

I am one of those mystical beasts that play with wood!! ::)
The tree kind for those with twisted minds!!!

This metal work stuff is going to be a great journey for me!
I am going to ask many questions and read many books!

I even watched the movie "How to run a lathe" What a hoot!!!
All those guys dressed so smart and working away!!
Got to love the old stuff!!!

Andrew

I'll fess up, I'm a cabinet maker some days, (today, building a set of shaker style dressers for a client out of beech) but when clients call the machine shop pays the bills. The bottom half of the shop has a 18 x 80 and a 12 x 24 lathe, vertical mill, shaper, press, drill press, tig, stick, and mig welders plasma cutter and two overhead cranes that cover the whole shop for the heavy projects. Actually changing chucks on the big lathe, they way about 150 pounds and most of the work that goes in it is heavy.
Last week it was pins for the grapple on a log skider, a sign post for a store and a section of wrought iron railing.
I'm afraid the model end of it is only when time permits, but will confess models are the most fun.
Greg

There's lots of reasons why people don't post.
Don't want to intrude.
Feel intimidated.
Just cruising.
Spying.
Nothing to add.
Checking us out (hopefully my tu-tu doesn't turn them away)

I'm sure we all do more viewing than posting.

I like to think my having my name pop up or having upped some one's view count is saying hello.

I like the fact that we have so many guests popping in whether they post or not.
I also like to think we snare a fair percentage of people who pop in and stay.

Am I wrong to think you have to register to post?

I try to post only when I have something intelligent to add, or a burning need for info I can't find with a search of the prior posts, so that keeps me in the woodwork most all of the time. I don't want to intrude, am in awe of the work you guys do, and have learned a great deal by lurking around and soaking it up. I really enjoy the build threads. Some of you guys are as good at photography and writing as you are at metal working.

zeeprogrammer said:
There's lots of reasons why people don't post.
Don't want to intrude.
Feel intimidated.
Just cruising.
Spying.
Nothing to add.

Learning?

Hi All........ One more woodwork guy here..

I try, and I am not always successful to follow my Mothers advice” Better to remain silent and thought a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt” ;) ;)
Regards Bert

Bert said:
Hi All........ One more woodwork guy here..

I try, and I am not always successful to follow my Mothers advice” Better to remain silent and thought a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt” ;) ;)
Regards Bert

Thought only my Mom used that. . .

Robert

How did we get from Pat talking about lurkers hiding in the woodwork to general discussion about woodwork as a hobby ... talking about thread drift :bow:
Or am I talking different lingo? ;D

Chris

ps I am one of those who read for at least a year before posting anything, so there is a hope yet.

HI all well all i think is my work is so good it Lev's them gob smacked

This seems a worthwhile as well as interesting topic. Just to add some numbers to it...if you go to the "members" area and sort by number of posts then of the total 150 pages of members, by page 3 we are down to 500 or fewer posts, by page 7 we are down to 100 or fewer posts, by page 11 we are down to 50 or fewer posts and then from pages 54 -150 we are down to registered members who have not posted at all...not even an introduction. And of course this does not even count "guests" who look but don't register. I am sure everyone has their own reasons for joining, posting, or for that matter NOT posting. But for what we all seem to collectively feel...that this is one of the most if not THE most friendly forum of its type, it would seem that we should try and somehow bring in the two thirds of the members who have never even posted. How intimidating can it be to say "Hi...I am so and so from here and there." Maybe getting over that first hurdle and being welcomed as usually happens with such introductions would make future postings easier. Surely in those nearly 100 pages of members who have taken the time to register but not yet post, there must be talent waiting to be shared, questions needing to be answered, beginning interests just waiting to be kindled. We can all benefit by trying to increase the activity level, and not just watching the numbers go up, and I can't think of a better place to do it than here!!

Bill

having been a member of a few forums including one where the lurkers outnumber the actual visiting members 10 to 1, the first "introduction" post is the hardest.

BTW: Foozer, nice Honda

Randel

1) I do not post if I'm not sure that I actually post something that might be useful - have no need to "hear my own voice".
2) I haven't got a workshop yet, so no experience with the sizes we're talking about here - have experience with full size IC and electronics + a bit CNC.
3) I enjoy looking at your work and I certainly learned a lot from the pictures, if there's a little bit of text info with them.

My future workshop is under construction and no machinery yet, so I expect (hope) to do something usefull in some 6-8 month time.

I've build my house with wood, so yes I got a slight clue about how to use wood, but I wouldn't consider myself a woodwork guy ;)

Pat

“I never have figured out who that "Karma" dude is, or why his name appears under everyone else’s name.”

The Karma thing is a compliment paid to you when members think highly of your post by “applauding’
You have a “20” so folks think you make some good posts…

Regard...Bert

I've kinda fallen into the woodwork ever since my youngest daughter was born. I'm on here everyday keeping up with what everyone is up to, but I don't have much to contribute. When I do have something, I usually don't have the time to snap pictures and do a writeup. A year ago I setup my drillpress for powertapping and was going to do a write up. I also came up with a dirty little way to sharpen end mills on a belt sander. But here again, it is very difficult for me to put it all together.

As a stay at home dad with a one year old, I get very little shoptime anymore.

While I have been writing this, my older daughter has interupted me several times (she and her brother are both home with a bad stomach virus).

I never post unless I have a question or something to contribute to the post. I do look at all the new post everyday but don't post anything. Haven't really made anything worth post a pic of or build post so I guess I am a lurker. But on the other hand, I praise all for the great projects you have built and for all the knowledge I have gained from this site. Thanks all.

90LX_Notch said:
I've kinda fallen into the woodwork ever since my youngest daughter was born. I'm on here everyday keeping up with what everyone is up to, but I don't have much to contribute.

I'll second that!
Daylight shed time is virtually non existent now with a 4yr old son and a 1 1/2 yr old daughter. The best time for the shed is 9pm till midnight, but that does limit operations some what.

Keep smiling,
Phil

Not having anything important to contribute never stopped me from posting! :big:

Back