Entablature Steam Pumping Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep going to this thread and admiring this engine. Job Well Done.

Dave, I am slowly working on one of Brian's hit and miss engines as well as a couple of others, but ongoing health problems are keeping me from doing much.

Cheers,

Tom

Many thanks, Tom!

My condolences on your health issues, and I hope you get things sorted soon. Do you have a build thread for your engine?

Cheers
Dave

Just a quick update, but here's the eccentric strap and link for the steam valve - only roughed right now, but nice to knock another off of the list.

The side inserts for the plinth are on the mill right now, so hopefully they'll be done by tonight...

I was planning to get this done by mid January ready for the London MEX at the Ally Pally, but in the course of conversation it came out that a better place to show it would be the Model Engineer Exhibition at Sandown Park in December as this is where it was last shown in 1922. There's a hell of a lot to do if thats going to happen though...

Still polishing the flywheel every evening...:wall:

Valve Eccentric Strap and Rod (1).jpg

Valve Eccentric Strap and Rod (2).jpg

Not a lot to update lately; I've got the supports for the guide bars started, with 13/32 stainless balls bonded on to some lenghts of 6mm stainless. Next job on those is to mill a 6 dia flat on each ball and drill them for the bars ready for bending. The exhaust pipe and flange is started, but i'm not all that happy with it yet, even though it's currently only rough. And the straps and bearings for the vlave gear are waitinig for the cotter slots to be cut. Still flywheel polishing like mad every night after work - the second side is nearly finished in 400 grit, so not long now until the 800...

DSC04540.jpg

DSC04541.jpg

DSC04542.jpg

Still polishing non-stop, but had to take a couple of pics to reassure myself that there was an improvement...:wall:

PIC_0082.jpg

PIC_0083.jpg

Wow, Dave that is just stunning! The flywheel turned out especially nice.

Dave

Thanks Dave, but when you see it in the flesh there's a fair way to go on it yet. But good grief is it boring to polish - the next engine gets paint for sure!

And here's the valve eccentric strap finally fitted. The drive link is nearly fettled too, so that should be on in a day or so ;D

DSCN0052.jpg

And here's the valve link in place, but...it's too long :(
I'd had a brain off moment on where I'd made the break line between milled and turned parts, so this'll need a little fine tuning ;)

DSCN0065.jpg

And the entablature's moving again too - here's the slide valve, valve gland, and also the steam chest cover after a first fettle and ready for some 3D engraving of a nice gothic J in the centre. I've heard of engines being named after the wife of the builder in full scale, so this one's being named Jacqueline ;D

011c6e086d672aac2024d3711c0c1ccee1f8caedbd.jpg

017e7edcb6b1c338603b1e6a5fcaffce04c16f5b2b.jpg

And the engraved cover - it took some playing with to get right, but I got there in the end. I've had to skim the edges too to tidy them up, so back to the emery tonight ;)

0128f7c333f9ae9a73369bf070dd42697658870233.jpg

Thanks Gus, she is :)

Here's the steam valve in place, next job fitting the steam chest cover tonight, and hopefully final flywheel fitting early next week ;D

Btw, have you ever tried to keep a polished engine clean when you're in the middle of restoring the house? Soul destroying...

01659592fe01288b512338a580c67afb477ec94539.jpg

Thanks Gus, she is :)

Here's the steam valve in place, next job fitting the steam chest cover tonight, and hopefully final flywheel fitting early next week ;D

Btw, have you ever tried to keep a polished engine clean when you're in the middle of restoring the house? Soul destroying...

I've remodeled my house one room at a time over the past forty years, some twice (kitchen and bath). Very hard not to dust up the entire place.
Golden rule #1: I mess, my wife cleans up.
Good rule if you manage not to get a fry pan on the side of the head.:eek:

Absolutely, Gus - blue jobs and pink jobs. Blue = tools, pink = dusters ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Model Engines

Ok, back to the drawing board for the governer body. In finishing the part it became apparent that one of the drillings had wandered, more than likely where it crossed the through hole, and was about to break out of the side of the part. I opened it out to 3.5mm with a vague idea of dropping a bush into it, but it soon became apparent that to get a proper job it was time to start again... ho hum... :(

01acee1ed36d65f3ff0c12a0f78cd4eaeb5dd9e12c.jpg

013c7c711e0176fd4766298953e32a8f9219777971.jpg

01492998a5966b336d33f2f29738e118b623cf0ac9.jpg

Just a little part but lot of work. Going nicely until the last file stroke. Gloom, despair and agony. You seem to have handled it well, I think.
My reaction :Doh:th_wtf1:rant::wall::toilet:*beer*

Bummer on the governor body; I sure you will get it sorted out.

I can't believe you let that beautiful engine get so dusty; even the unfinished Pacific lives under cover on my work bench waiting for me to pay some attention to it.:)

Dave

LMAO!! Mentally, that's what I was doing, Gus :D

Dave, it's my own fault, but whereas I could have left it upstairs under a cover, I do love to look at it and think through solutions to the last few pieces. So, with having permission to keep it on the dining table I made the most of it. It'll dust off ok though ;)

Latest posts

Back