Entablature Steam Pumping Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivergypsy

Reaction score
For the start of this thread I'm afraid I do have to blame Pete - whilst building the compound condensing engine I got sidetracked by an incomplete set of plans he sent me. No blame though mate, it's a blinder :D
Its from January 1927 from Geo Gentry, and seems to have stopped after a few articles in Model Engineer - I can find earlier articles of his work but not later, so there's some research involed on this on to pick out the details. It has to be said though, this is one of the most graceful and elegant engines I've come across so far.

I started by modelling the existing plans in Solidworks and correcting where necessary, and whilst not everything is finalised yet, the basic structure is now nailed down, so i've started machining.

I have been lax with the early pictures i'm afraid, but here's progress so far, and I'll try to fill in detail as I go. Plus if anybody fancies and more info, please feel free to give me a shout :eek:)

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

You are making a great job of that, I think I may actually have been the one who sent Pete the link when it came up on teh Model Engineer website, its certainly a handsome engine.

Look forward to some more photos as it progresses.

J

Thanks for that, I'll do my best to make it a nice job. Did you ever find any more references to the engine?
Cheers,
Dave

I did search around but could not find anything else.

Hi Dave
I really like you engine so far, a lovely finnish on those columns, it reminds me of the lady stephanie beam engine i did recently and i wonder how they assembled the real thing, they could'nt pick up the whole thing and screw the columns from under the baseplate,
Can we see a image of the overall design.
Geoff

Lovely work, Dave!

Chuck

That is going to be striking. Beautiful work!

Thanks very much, guys. And Chuck, your signature on here is the story of my life - fingers x'd that I get the important ones done, and bring lost engineering back to life :eek:)

Great start of a beautiful looking engine, I will be tagging alone to see it finished.

Don

Here's the overall layout of the engine, which I fell hook, line & sinker for, and also the SW model of the crosshead, which I started yesterday.

I found a nice piece of tool steel for the crosshead, which should give a nice strong and good looking part, but the machining may take some time, and there's going to be a lot of hand fettling to do as well, although I'm undecided if to use a bit of 3D machining to ease the process or if to do it manually for the practise... :rolleyes:

I'll try to be more efficient in terms of posting pics from now on too ;)

Dave

Capture.jpg

Crosshead.jpg

Wow, I can see why you fell for this engine. That crosshead is a nice piece of work. Make me a bit weak in the knees to think about machining it though :) I'd have to break that up into a few parts and solder them together...

Ok, here's todays effort; the crosshead has been blocked up, drilled and reamed, and now very roughly knocked down to size, ready for some turning.
I think i'm going to do this manually just for the challenge, so fingers crossed for tomorrow, and also for not being awake all night pondering which order to turn it in.. :)

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

I'm thinking some 4 jaw work for the piston rod boss, and then mounting it on a pin to do the little end bosses before turning the cross piece, although sods law says I'll be awake awake half the night pondering this, and have a different plan by the morning!

... although sods law says I'll be awake awake half the night pondering this, and have a different plan by the morning!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with that problem :)

Here we go, the first turning has started on the crosshead - a lot of checking angles, clearances and stops, but the little end bosses are now done - major relief and reassurance! :D

So next job is the fixture for turning the piston rod boss... ;)

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

Hiya,

Here we are again, I thought I'd better pull a digit out on this project as I have more ideals for new job, and don't want to leave the old ones unfinished...

I've just had a couple of days machining on the main bearing pedestals this week, and i think we're making a useful bit of progress. The pedestals and their caps are from stainless, and the bearings from brass, but unfortunately time and material caught up with me adn i still have one left to make... Next job is the second main bearing and then (I think...) the crankshaft. Wish me luck on the 'rod and crosshead to link it all up though...

Dave

Argh, can't attach images... :( the main bearings are on though ;o)

PIC_0023.jpg

PIC_0025.jpg

Latest posts

Back