Engineer Reporting in!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerdz

Reaction score
Hello There!

Ive become very interested in machining engines ever since I got my mini lathe (Micromark 7x16 Lathe). The lathe is pretty much stock. I just bought a 4 jaw chuck and I LOVE it. The only thing I have done to my lathe is just lap it (the cross slide was all over the place!).

A little about me: Im a electronics engineer, by trade AND by hobby. I have quite a few interests; Ive recently built a small tesla coil, and Ive also made myself a 400 Lumen flashlight (Its probably more, all I know is i paid $15 for the LED).

So now that brings me here, to conqueror one of my other interests: Stirling Engines. Except, its not for me. Im making it as a gift for someone for christmas :). I have plenty of questions, but few little answers. Hopefully I can find them here

And in between all of this, I bought a house and it needs work. With that said, Hi From CT!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of answers to be found here and very helpful people. I can't help with Stirling questions, but many can. A Stirling worthy of giving away as a gift by Christmas is going to be a challenge though. I know they can be tricky to build. Good luck.

Welcome from Pennsylvania, formerly of Northwest CT. Cogsy is right, making a Stirling can be challenging but give it a try. Plans are available for free or low cost from lots of sources. Good luck and keep us posted

Cheers,
Phil

Welcome hope you enjoy it here
you may want to check into htthttp://www.neme-s.org/p://
they have monthly meetings in Watham MA and an annual show in February

So now that brings me here, to conqueror one of my other interests: Stirling Engines. Except, its not for me. Im making it as a gift for someone for Christmas . I have plenty of questions, but few little answers. Hopefully I can find them

A caravat here unless you are experienced machining to tight tolerances we recommend practicing on a couple air steam type engines.
Stirling engines are gnat power engines and produce just enough power to run . so any little friction or air can case a problem.
Tin

Welcome hope you enjoy it here
you may want to check into htthttp://www.neme-s.org/p://
they have monthly meetings in Watham MA and an annual show in February

A caravat here unless you are experienced machining to tight tolerances we recommend practicing on a couple air steam type engines.
Stirling engines are gnat power engines and produce just enough power to run . so any little friction or air can case a problem.
Tin

Thanks!

Im not much of an experienced machinist, but I have made parts "fit" together, either by sliding fit or press fit. Infact, the Stirling engine Im building now (or attempting too) requires a Hollow Aluminum Displacer. I managed to get a nice press fit on the caps. I ended up sealing them with lock tite, but before that when I looked at one end with light, none shined through.

I am rethinking the idea, I found simpler ones to make (http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~khirata/english/make.htm) and I have thought of simple steam engines, but the question remains as to how to make steam. If I go with a stirling, I plan on using simple alcohol for the source.

I have thought of simple steam engines, but the question remains as to how to make steam.

Steam engines will also run on compressed air. I would suggest starting with one of Elmer's engines. I am working on my sixth one currently. The wobbler is a good one for a beginner. Plans can be found here.

Steam engines will also run on compressed air. I would suggest starting with one of Elmer's engines. I am working on my sixth one currently. The wobbler is a good one for a beginner. Plans can be found here.

Can they run on those cans of air? The closest air source I have is in the garage (which is outside) and the compressor doesnt have a regulator on it. Wait, I have an idea. What about one of those 12V Car Compressors. If those little things can blow up tires then they could be used to right?

The other thing is that it looks like the plans need a mill. I only have a drill press and lathe.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will enjoy your stay. :)

I'm pretty sure unless your engine is very small it won't provide enough CFM to power most air engines.

Cheers,
John.

You may have just convinced me to build one. Why? Not because it might be a little difficult to get one running, it might be difficult in the time slot I have to make one. I do however, have the displacer, mounting plate, and displacer cylinder made up. So it might just be one of those "long term rainy day projects" Ive been going over the plans for a wobbler. It seems the net is abound with How-To's and various reproductions of it. Turns out I dont need a mill at all. Im sure I can manage with a drill press and lathe.

Im even more inspired by the fact I saw one on youtube that had a small integrated boiler that was powered by a candle. It just used 20ml of water.

(link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urzjctGnTEg#t=57). It literally does look as if they just attached a brass cup with water in it. If I can somehow re-create it, That would be great! I love the idea of a self running engine.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Latest posts

Back