Engine ( where to start )

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomrigus

Reaction score
Hello! i'm new to this forum (it's my first post ) and i have little experience with engines ( i know how they work and their parts but never tried to build one )..I was wondering ,if you have some plans or tutorials ( the simplest engine ) for me to start with.. i'm very young ( 17 ) but i love internal combustion engines, and building one of them is my goal.I forgot to mention that i have little-no equipment like yours..( machines and stuff )only drills and handheld tools.. So can you suggest something to start with?i would really appreciate it!. :D PS: sorry for bad english, it's not my native language

Hi Tomrigus,
Since you suggested an interest in internal combustion I would suggest the Hamilton Upshur Vertical Single. http://www.strictlyic.com/ser01.htm
It is a fairly easy engine unmodified, but can easily be changed to use materials at hand. My version of this is on this link http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/my-first-engine-18599/
I did complicate mine by the ball bearing crank & cam but bushings would simplify it. At the NAMES show In Detroit I have seen quite a few stone stock ones. Once everything is sorted out it is a sweet running little engine. I hope this is helpful, if you have any questions PM me.
Art

thank you all of you guys for your support! Art that disel engine really rocks! but i dont think i'm skilled enough to build it. Anyway.. i will start from the steam engine , and if i manage to complete it.. i will move on to something bigger.. (oh btw all that measurements are in inches , right? )

Tomrigus,
Its not a diesel just a simple 4stroke gas engine, think about it when you have a few more hours logged.
Art

thank you all of you guys for your support! Art that disel engine really rocks! but i dont think i'm skilled enough to build it. Anyway.. i will start from the steam engine , and if i manage to complete it.. i will move on to something bigger.. (oh btw all that measurements are in inches , right? )

I'm not sure if machining is a possible career choice for you, if not there is a way to get into the hobby and learn alot about machine tools and how they work. Basically the idea is to build yourself a lathe out of materials found free or at low cost. There is a series of books by an author called Gingery and thus the name given to the lathe (Gingery Lathe).

Now the first thing people will tell you is that it is easier to go out and buy a Chinese lathe and with a little work get better results. They would be right if the end is to jump into machining right from the start with a good budget to get you started. Even the little Chinese lathes are surprisingly good considering how much they cost.

In any event that isn't the point of going this route. By building the lathe you learn a whole series of skills that are directly applicable to making engines. It starts with making patterns and stuff to cast individual parts of the lathe. Much effort is put into hand fitting parts, scraping and other activities to fit up a lathe. This is all done with the most basic of tools.

Many will argue that this is just a diversion, many so but sometimes you get insight into techniques by doing something different than your primary interest. Frankly the lathe isn't that great even when compared to the small Chinese imports, the value is in the learning process. Gingery in fact acknowledges the short comings of the lathe but sees it as a starting point when you have nothing in the way of tools. He specifically mentions building a better lathe once you have a shop established. You might consider instead just buying one.

In any event I offer this up as an idea. It may or may not fit your circumstances and desires but I find the process fascinating.

The problem is that these things cost a fortune and i dont think i can afford such machinery. Anyway , (Art) i got excited from some other post about a diesel engine and i got a bit confused xD

Back