Quantcast

Engine Valves

Help Support HMEM:

davidyat

HMEM Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ved,
OOHHH, I like it! Looks like you are experimenting with using what we learned from the Sun-Planet Engine? For now, until you perfect the design for this one, I think I'll tackle Brian Rupnow's simplified beam engine. I've thought about an IC engine, but the ones out there look like more than I'd like to chew on. Keep me posted on your progress.
Grasshopper

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
OOHHH, I like it! Looks like you are experimenting with using what we learned from the Sun-Planet Engine?
Yup. My experience with poppet valves is not good. As I've written before, when I tried to make a Webster I had a hell of a time getting the valves to seal even after several attempts. Eventually it went onto the shelf of shame then to an old gear-head co-worker to whom I gifted.

I know it's a crappy combustion chamber design. Generally you'd want a hemispherical chamber or one that causes a "squish". But I'm going for simple here. I don't see why a piece of roundstock shuttling in a reamed hole wouldn't have sufficient sealing. The method works for stirling engines and they have near to no power density. I guess I'll find out.

But if the idea doesn't work, making a new head and incorporating poppet valves shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I have the ignition on order. When I receive it I'll measure it up and figure out how to incorporate it into the design.

...Ved

Latest posts