Mystery Brass

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
I've had various levels of success with Online Metal's Protoboxes. As I was making the spool valves for my "Dancer's Engine", I found some material in my brass section that didn't look like normal brass. I know it came from one of the Protoboxes I've purchased.

It was much more difficult to machine than "normal" 360 free machining brass but the finish was great. Even tapping the material it felt more like steel than brass. Any machining operation and the material got too hot to touch.

Based on the following picture, does anybody know what this is?

(The material in question is chucked in the lathe and a piece of 360 brass is in my hand.)

Thanks,

...Ved.

20220529_145303.jpg

I've had various levels of success with Online Metal's Protoboxes. As I was making the spool valves for my "Dancer's Engine", I found some material in my brass section that didn't look like normal brass. I know it came from one of the Protoboxes I've purchased.

It was much more difficult to machine than "normal" 360 free machining brass but the finish was great. Even tapping the material it felt more like steel than brass. Any machining operation and the material got too hot to touch.

Based on the following picture, does anybody know what this is?

(The material in question is chucked in the lathe and a piece of 360 brass is in my hand.)

Thanks,

...Ved.

View attachment 136612
It hard to tell.
But harder to machine it's a bearing bronze.
If it free cuts like yellow brass then it is red brass.
If cuts and oil comes out then it is oil impregnated bronze

But this only a guess

Dave

Might be aluminium bronze , if so it will show a very slight attraction to a magnet.
If it is AB then it cuts easily with new sharp tools but is almost impossible with slightly dull ones.
Dan.

While we're playing guess the brass, I've got a ring gear that's a little over 30" around and 4" wide. It came out of a big a$$ winch in the navy yard. Any guess what it's made of? Bob

Based on the replies, I think I have naval brass.

This picture of N.B. Sure looks like what I have.

1653937939923.png

Thank you all for the help.

...Ved

I don't know Naval brass. But your piece looks much redder, like phosphor bronze, to me.
Aluminium bronze (in my stock) looks a much lighter colour than regular "yellow metal" brass.
But I have some 10mm dia brass, that looks the same as all my other brass, yet it is very hard and difficult to machine, so much so I changed material when using a 1 BA tap for fear of breaking the tap! My friend - who supplied it - said it was a hard alloy brass, hardened and tempered.
K2

Back