Engine Plans For A Newbie.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToxicAvenger

Reaction score
Hello fellow Machinist,
As the title states, I am a newbie to this site a also to making model engines.
I am 18 and I am attending my first semester in community college and I am very interested in engines and how they work and I was hoping maybe some of you could provide me with some direction or plans to get started in making engines !

Thanks for your time! -Nathan

hi Nathan.............welcome to this fine forum ;D

if you let us know what kind of engine you would like (steam, i.c. ) then we can suggest a set of plans.

you might want to post a short introduction and tell us about your self in the welcome section ( i think ??? )

chuck

sorry I forgot to clarify :p. I was thinking maybe a stirling or steam engine. An internal combustion seems a little too hard but i am motivated and excited to start, so pretty much anything someone would recommend for a novice.

yea I think ill do that right now :D

I'm located in Dallas, TX. I have barley any tools, consisting of an electric handheld drill, a soldering iron, and screwdrivers flatheads etc. etc. just toolbox tools like that. I was in a Theater Tech class last year so i also have access to power tools like circular saw, band saw, table saw and jig saws. Is there a model engine that could be made mostly out of wood rather than metal?

Yes there is! You can find many web entrys for "tin can Stirling" on the internet.

Alright so I've decided im going to make a soda can stirling engine, it seems simple enough and looks cool 8).
Im going to need to take a trip to a Home Depot to buy epoxy and some of the other things i will need.
Any ideas where i could get the Electrical terminal blocks as seen here? ---> (http://sites.google.com/site/reukpower/can-stirling/make-a-coke-can-stirling-engine)
Could I use something besides those terminal blocks?

You might check to see what resources your college has available. Some community colleges have very nice machine shops available for students to use.

Oh cool I never thought about that! Ill check tomorrow. If I find that I can use the machine shop, what would a good beginner engine I could make with a machine shop?

ToxicAvenger said:
Oh cool I never thought about that! Ill check tomorrow. If I find that I can use the machine shop, what would a good beginner engine I could make with a machine shop?
Any of the Elmer's Engines would be a good starter project, or some of the PM research ones.
Regards,
Gerald.

Latest posts

Back