Emergency stop switch position

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d.bick

Reaction score
I have recently finished a rebuild on my Bridgeport mill. I’am six foot tall and was tempted to move the start/stop control panel higher up, I commented about the stupid position of the control panel to a fellow work mate who made me aware that you may have to bend down a little to start the machine, but the stop button is perfectly placed for your knee, I have now got used to switching the Bridgeport off in this way.

Today one of the operators of the Bridgeport at the place I work was changing one of a batch of jobs out of a fixed jig on the table with a 4” long end mill cutter still running. The result being his overall sleeve and jumper was ripped off his arm. Luckily the belt is worn and the slack allowed the pulley to slip with a loud squeal whilst he found the off button. The coverall material had wrapped around the cutter protecting his skin from cuts but he suffered bad bruising to the back of his left hand and wrist.
The moral is always turn off a milling machine before putting ones hands in the vicinity of the cutter and be aware how to stop a machine in an emergency.
Be safe Dave Bick

Back