Elmer's Engines to be republished?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjk

Woodworker (reformed)
Reaction score
There are postings to the Elmer's Engines Yahoo groups to the effect that the time has been deemed right to republish Elmer's Engines.

Public Domain permissions have been withdrawn and so now is the time to download all the plans if you haven't already.

I call B.S. You cannot withdraw permission once something been placed in the public doamin.

I am not an authority on copyright law by any means, but even if permissible to withdraw from public domain, I would think that a formidable task in the internet age. Still I suspect many would desire a reprint just for the clear well printed collection of Elmer's work. Interesting turn of events though and I hope they do reprint it.

BIll

The Elmer's Engines book has never been placed in the public domain.

The current copyright holder just gave permission for the plans to be made available from a couple of sources for free download for personal use. He can, at his discretion, ask the hosting sites to stop sharing the plans, but I don't think he will do that.

There just appears to be a rising demand for a reprint of the book - I know I would happily buy one if the costs can be kept low enough.

Regards, Arnold

Just like Bill said - he posted while I was.

If you keep watching ebay and some other online book stores you may get lucky!

I managed to pick one up for $50!
A real bargain and it is in excellent condition too!!!

Would be nice for a reprint for everyone to be able to afford a copy!

Andrew

arnoldb said:
The current copyright holder just gave permission for the plans to be made available from a couple of sources for free download for personal use. He can, at his discretion, ask the hosting sites to stop sharing the plans, but I don't think he will do that.
The posting on the Elmers Engines forums clearly specified the rights are rescinded and all copies are to be removed immediately. IMO they shot themselves in the foot big time doing that--

• They just pissed off a big chunk of the potential customer base-- and these were guys asking to pay for reprints!
  • The overseas sites will ignore them anyway and leave them up.
  • Odds are once they figure out what it will cost to get good quality reprints done, it will never happen anyway

The Elmers Engines groups should have been a huge marketing vehicle... but now are likely not.

Quick quiz-- Would you be more likely to purchase a copy of the book before or after having built one of the designs?

But what can you expect from people that still type in all caps. ???

Hmm... Obviously I was wrong with "I don't think he will do that". I get my Elmer's Engines forum descriptions only at home, so after work I had a look, and, yes, the copyright holder asked the other hosting sites to stop sharing the plans.

I really do hope they get things going in some direction quickly; either get the book published or revert to the status as it was.

Andrew, take good care of that book - it's a collector's item... The cheapest one I've been able to find from a seller that's prepared to ship to me was $184 excluding shipping and my import duties - for a book in "fair" condition.

Shred, some valid points - even if verging on the strong side ;) As to the quiz - I only decided I'd really like to buy the book while busy on my third Elmer's engine...

Regards, Arnold

I would be inclined to buy the book (providing it was resonably priced) simply to have clear prints and photos. And that is even though I have DL nearly every engine already. But, I also think they (CR holders) are going about it the wrong way.

I have downloaded some of the Elmer's Engines plans, but would be seriously interested in purchasing the entire book if reasonably priced, simply to be able to get all of the drawings and notes in a clearer format. The scanned PDFs do leave a little to be desired.

I am in line to buy the book as well, despite having downloaded and printed it all, now in a 3-ring binder. My laser prints can go to the shop and get marked up, and reprinted when need be, while the book lives on the bedside table.

I hope they don't republish it! JK

I was planning to finance my next major tool purchase with the proceeds obtained from selling my copy of Elmer's Engines and Connelly's Machine Tool Reconditioning.

JK = Just Kidding

mklotz said:
I hope they don't republish it! JK

I was planning to finance my next major tool purchase with the proceeds obtained from selling my copy of Elmer's Engines and Connelly's Machine Tool Reconditioning.

JK = Just Kidding

Marv!

You're such a tease!!

Latest posts

Back