Elmers #41 Finished

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhoult

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just finished up an Elmers 41. I want to thank everyone for all of their posts - I have gleaned a lot of information from them.

Sadly I have some work stuff so there won't be much/any shop time in the next 2 or 3 months. The upside is that I will have time to figure out what I want to build next.

Here are a couple of pics and a video.

Video of it running.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6LfG7vXOVI[/ame]

IMG_2671_sm.jpg

IMG_2683_sm.jpg

IMG_2681_sm.jpg

Great job...I am always looking for finished Elmers Engines.

This one looks amazing!

Very nice. Mill engines are always classics.

Very nice work. Did you make the flywheel from barstock or casting? It looks great and complements the engine nicelyThm:

Phil

That is a great looking engine. I like the extra action on the valving for the 41. I hope my current build of the #33 mill runs as well.

Thayer

Thanks everyone for the comments! I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned lurking on the forum.

Phil - I made the flywheel out of 1/2" plate. I turned it on the lathe, including the recess. Then I used a rotary table on the mill to make the cutouts. For my first attempt I drilled the centerhole undersized and then turned the outside. I then planned to do the recess, cutouts and finish the center hole using the mill. That didn't work very well for me, the alignment wasn't very good (could have easily been operator error). For the second try I center drilled to the finished size and then turned the outside diameter. After the outside was turned to size I mounted it in a 4 jaw chuck, centering it off of the centerhole. I then turned the recess and moved it to the mill, again referencing it off the centerhole. Probably not the simplest, or the best way but it worked.

A beautiful accomplishment.

Don't want to put any pressure on you but what's next?

Simply Stunning work!!! Very motivational to us newbies!!!!

Regards,

Will

I am very much a newbie - sandpaper and buffing does wonders :)

As for my next project, I think it will be a Hit and Miss. I haven't decided on the Air Powered version that is in the download section or the Kerzel IC version.

Back