E-Z Build Project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1493

Reaction score
The E-Z Build engine was the first project that I completed on my Smithy 3 in 1 machine. After I downloaded the plans, I went over to the local scrap yard to see what I could find in their bins. I came home with three pieces of aluminum, one 1/4 x 3 x 23, one 3/4 x 1 x 13, and one 5 x 3/4 disc, and a piece of 1" brass round stock about 16 " long. The total cost was $18.00. When the brass was cut up for scrap, the shear bent the piece so that it was bent about an inch out of plumb. I purchased a strip of 1/4 x 1/16 brass at the Ace hardware store. I had some 1/4" steel on hand. I chose to modify the construction of the engine to fit my materials. I did this because I didn't want to take the time to set up the Smithy to mill away the waste.

I cut the pieces to length with a cold cut chop saw and then marked them according to the prints. When I marked the valve and cylinder bodies, I located the bore for the cylinder close to the frame as indicated on the print and located the bore for the valve away from the frame. I did this so the I could accommodate the wider flywheel. I drilled all of the holes on my drill press. I discovered the incorrect holes on the frame when I was tapping them. I tapped them for 6-32 screws and they worked fine. When I discovered that the hole through the frame did not line up with the ports on the valve and cylinder I redrilled it.

My first attempt at turning the valve did not go well. I center drilled the stock extended it just enough to turn the desired section. When the first section was done, I extended the stock again so that I could turn the second section. The piece broke just as I was finishing the second cut. My second attempt was successful. I cut the flats using a Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel. The piston and bearing were turned from the brass round stock. The flywheel was turned to fit the space that was available between the valve link and the frame. I decided to drill holes in the link and flywheel to jazz it up a little. I used a 45 degree drafting triangle to lay out the holes in the flywheel. I assembled the engine and it ran. I disassembled it and polished it up a little on a buffing wheel and took some photos. Compared to most of the other projects that I have seen on this website, the fit and finish are pretty crude. I was more concerned about completing the project than I was about the appearance.

So far I have only run it on air. I have an old cappuccino machine for steam and I will try that as soon as I get a chance. The only problem that I have had is that when it runs, the screw that connects the connecting rod to the crank tightens and eventually stops the engine. I think that a little Loctite will fix that problem. I have attempted to take a video of the engine running, but I haven't figured out how to do that with my camera. Attached are photos of the completed engine.

Jack Hilderbrant

IMG_0279.JPG

Congratulations! The motor looks great! :bow:

Catchy looking fly wheel too!

Great start with your new machine and hobby.

-MB

Jack

Congratulations! Thm: Always nice to see a successful build. Your "make it with what you've got" attitude will serve you well in this hobby :big:

Cheers, Joe

Jack; great job with improvising and making do. I like the use of the larger flywheel and the hole patterns in it. Using the Dremel is a great way to cut the flats without using a mill. Sounds like you worked your way through the errors in the drawings. We have since corrected the size and position of the holes on the upright. Yes, Loctite will take care of the screws tightening up (or loosening).

As for the finish; a lot of us complete the build then disassemble to do some polish and paint then put it back to running condition. So you can still make it as plain or polished as you want.

Congrats on building a runner! Thanks for sharing the finished engine with us.

Congratulations Jack. Great job. Thanks for the wonderful post. I think you pleased a lot of people with that .

capjack

this is a great build... It would be wonderful if you also posted a video... :)

where did you get the plans for it?

tom

The plans are in the download section of this website.

Jack

capjak said:
Compared to most of the other projects that I have seen on this website, the fit and finish are pretty crude. I was more concerned about completing the project than I was about the appearance.

There's a lot to be said for just getting one done and running. Most important is the self motivation to keep going and try another one, maybe with a more difficult design or adding personal touches.

I think that a lot of newbies, seeing some of the polished engines on the web are somewhat discouraged starting out. After all, who would start painting if all the works you had seen were Rembrandts and Picassos? Hard to dive in - or finish - if you realize that your first engine is not going to meet the stratospheric level some have reached.

Latest posts

Back