Dusted the engine, soaked the check valve.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 5 years give or take. I has been a bit over 3 years since this one has run. I admit to a bit more than dusting I did clean the flywheels a bit. Otherwise it awoke from a slumber very easily!

Great runner. :bow: :bow: :bow:
I was trying to see how the governor was working but never did catch it. I could see the lever keeping the exhaust open, but didn't see the governor itself. Is there any chance of a video of the governor? I can't help but think it might be unusual. ???

I was impressed until you admitted having to clean the flywheels too. ;)

Beautiful running engine! :bow:
What it the history of that model?

Rick

PutPut, I will get a video of the mechanism for you. I not sure you will find it unusual, just a variation on the hit and miss theme.

Rake,
I will include a "tour" of the construction via video, but in case you are interested in a little backstory. I can tell you off the top of my head this is my first engine...So this happens to be one I had no role machining. I guess you can call this the dose that got me addicted to the hobby.
To properly honor the engine I must must mention my mentor who is the actual craftsman. About the time I aquired this engine I was just begining to appreciate what I good neighborhood I moved into. The first time I met my neighbor the converstation ended with him saying, "No problem, I like doing things!". About this time he also taught me a new old phrase "Piss on that!". He turned 83 this weekend and went to an engine show, I am sure to hear him complain as the weather has not cooperated.

PutPut,
Do these pics help? Flywheel spins faster, pulls weight out against spring, brass ring connected to weight now eccentric, pushes down on bar which holds open valve as you noted.

DSCN0094.jpg

DSCN0067.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

Thanks for the photos. I think I understand how it works. It is definitely differant than any governor I have seen before. It sure seems to work fine though.

Latest posts

Back