DRO-350

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norberto

If you go the DR350 way then you may want to consider adding he DPU 550 upgrade to bring he 350 up to the 550 level.

There is information on the Shumatech site on the DPU550.

I have the DRO550 but it is currently out of stock due the availability of the processor chip. I think it is great. I have used glass scales (purchased online from Hong Kong) which are a bit moe expensive than the vernier type scales but work out of the box with no issues. There are many tales of problems with the vernier scales on the Shumatech Yahoo forum.

Col

Col

The link you give states that the DRO 350 is an obsolete design ans as much as states it is no longer supported.
Are you buying this new or on the used surplus closeout elcheapo market ?? Unless you know electronics and it is very cheap why mess with obsolete electronics . Even if you know electronics it could be more expensive in the long run.
Tin

I like my display from CDCO. Kind spendy but it works out of the box.

May be ditching mine once my CNC lathe is up running. You might see a deal coming in the for sale section here sometime soon.

Matt

Hi
Thank all for your answers :)

Tin, I`m having it really cheap, it was a kit a guy bought a few months ago and it was never built.

Col, what could i win by upgrading it to 550? Can i do it later or is required to build all together?

I have more experience in electronics than in machining, so i think i`m ok to build it (you should see my CNC setup! i have no pics of the thing now, i`ll take a few later) ;)

Matt, i actually have no budget for a DRO, but this thing is so cheap that i will give it a try.

Cheers,
Norberto

The web site states there are glitches in the 350 the 550 card plugs in and corrects the problems.
Tin

Lots of glitches in my 350s, it does work fine on my mini mill with an occasional reboot. I did do all the grounding mods. It does not like the micromark power feed at ALL. Still using it today.

Played with the CDCO one too. Works OK. Still in a box.

I put a DRO Pros unit with real scales on my Grizzly G4003. LOVE IT! When and if I ever get a big mill, will definitely break for DRO pros again. Great communication and the unit functions flawlessly.

You get what you pay for.

My two cents
-Ron

I have a DRO350 on my Grizzly G0619. I powered the scales from the DRO (capacitor mod in battery compartments) and paid particular attention to the routing of the cables in the enclosure. Used the Z axis scale that came with the mill and added two chinese scales for the X and Y axis. It has been trouble free for 2 years with no glitching and stable displays.

Cheers,

Adrian

Latest posts

Back