Rebuilding a pup

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
Way back about '97 or so I built a 2/5 size tractor based on a Rumely Oil Pull. These things are commonly called 'pups'. Like most folks I used a lot of lawn tractor parts. Unlike many, I completely scratchbuild the frame from odds n ends - including a couple bed frames and an electrical cabinet.
P1010007.jpg

The engine is a 1935 IHC LA of 1-1/2 - 2-1/2HP size (output depends on what speed you set it to run at)
P1010003.jpg

The front axle and wheels were a cut down McCormick-Deering horse forecart. It was cheap enough at an Amish auction, and just too cool not to use. This would prove a fateful decision.
P1010006.jpg

The rear wheels were from a McC-D horse drawn mower. The transaxle an Eclipse 4 speed from a lawn tractor.
P1010008.jpg

When it was completed, I took it to two shows. The Clarion County Fair - where it won a Best of Show ribbon as a "recycling project", and our home antique machinery show at Portersville. During the second show I was busy elsewhere and it was sitting on display unattended -- BIG mistake! Some mutton heads decided it was there for their brats to fool with... One of the things about steel wheels with a frost band is that you can't turn them when you aren't moving. They tried anyway, and broke the teeth on the steering gear. They also forced the clutch lever and broke the linkage.

I was so mad that it got brought home and parked -- for almost 15 years! It got moved as I went through two moves and a divorce, but never got repaired or anything else done with it.

Until this month.... Kim had been bugging me all winter to fix it for her to play with. I had a heavier steering box from an Allis-Chalmers B in my scrap stuff, but installing it would require re-arranging things.

It took me two days to pull the rear wheels, shields and wood trim, cut out the transaxle mounts and remove the broken clutch and steering stuff. -- It's taken another three to fabricate new brackets for the steering box and transaxle, especially since I'm hampered by lack of access to a decent welder here (a little 110v AC buzz box isn't what I'd call 'decent'), and it's too heavy to be loading and unloading it in Kim's Quest 3 or 4 times. Yes, the transaxle is crooked in the pic, I hadn't finished adjusting it when the rain chased me inside...
P1010001.jpg

The engine had also stuck from sitting, but that was a quick fix. Some Kroil and rocking the flywheel freed it up in about 15 minutes. I want to re-do the drive using v-belts instead of flat belts, and need to get a short pitman arm for the steering box, yet. With luck, it might be running again by mid-July, since I need to do some serious scrounging.

And I haven't got a blessed thing done on the roller yet, this year....So many projects, so little positive cash flow.....

Way to go Allen ;D I am sure Ms. Kim will look real cool riding it around.

Larry, don't know about "cool", but she'll probably try to run the wheels off it.

Ran into another little snag. The gas tank leaks - badly. I don't have one here that will fit - except a little 1 pint thing, and am not about to spend the kind of $$ they want for a reproduction LA/LB one. I'll probably try soldering the old one later this week.

Meanwhile, while the engine was off, I re-painted the frame. It's now Hunter Green instead of Kelly -- still not dark enough for a 'proper' Oil Pull, but rather attractive anyway. Painting around the decals was lots of fun. :-\

On the good news front. I think I've managed to locate a usable pitman arm, and a drive pulley - IF they are still available when I get paid on the 1st.

Tomorrow I get to see if I can get the factory pulley off.... It's only been on there for 76 years!

Most of the "progress" accomplished over the last week or two hasn't been anything to much to actually show.
- I put the first of two (or 3 if needed) stabilizer links in for the transaxle.
- I drilled the rear wheels, axles for heavier (3/8") pins, and installed those.
- I ordered a drive pulley and steering pitman arm.
- I removed the engine to get to the gas tank to see if I can fix the leak - since I can't find one to fit.
- I think I figured out how to set up the clutch and brake. I just need to get a 2 foot piece of 3/4" shaft and make up some actuator arms.
- Kim found a pic from the '97 Clarion County Fair showing it with it's purple ribbon.
- I got 1/2" box to make quick connect posts for the canopy roof - so we can still haul it in Kim's mini van.

Finally, a little progress to show..... I'm getting really tired of negative cash flow... Would you believe not having $3 for bolts held up the show for nearly a month?
Clutch/brake rocker shaft fabricated - 3/4" stock might be overkill, but it shouldn't fail again.
P8120001.jpg

Installed.....
P8130002.jpg

Clutch in and working -- brakes are next..
P8220005.jpg

Today I spent some time refitting the old wood trim. A decade in a damp, dirty basement was not particularly kind to the oak. I'm debating the merits of a heavy sanding and resealing.
P8310003.jpg

I still need to fabricate some shields and other bits, but it's mostly back together again.... and only about 2 months behind schedule.
P8310002.jpg

P8310001.jpg

Latest posts

Back