DIY Tool Maker's Chest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi LatheNut,

Gus has no choice but to make his own poor imitation ToolMaker's Chest. EuroTrade and others won't ship same to Singapore.:rant::wall:
Believe our very strict Fumigation Certification requirement deters.

Last edited:
At last the perfect mtire-corner joint happened after some fine adjustment. The sanding disc was slightly out of square and now fixed with a wedge(Carpenter's folly)
Will go on to put in Electronic Speed Control. Foot Pedal Control not best for this 71 young man.Very distracting and may end up bevelling my fingers.

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

Last edited:
Alrighty. Been very diligent today. Bevel Sander completed with Electronic Speed Regulator.

As I guess,the 200 watts Sewing Machine Motor is at most just enough to power the Sanding Disc for bevel touch ups. Motor must be revved to full speed to get the sanding power. Power cord fitted on with 13 Amps fused three pin plug as per P.U.B. Requirement.

Sander is about size of shoe box. Storage no a big issue. Just bought some planks for the next instrument box.
Thanks for viewing and giving Gus expert advice. There are many carpenters in our HMEM.

IMG_2315.jpg

Had a practice run after the preps were done. BandSaw stops and Bevel Sawing Jig. Same jig,my fingers can be safely away from bandsaw and save my fingers.
Had to fine tune bevel angle. Latest box now have all four perfect bevel joints. My skill installing hinges is not best.
My collection of gasket hole punches store in new box will be easy to locate and no more missing punches.

For now made enough instrument boxes.Bevel Sander stored away from machineshop.

Time to get back to building engines and metal bashing.

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

Very nice Gus,why dont you now make a new fishing tackle box
and then you have gone a complete circle.I have always had a love
for mixing woodwork and metalwork,

Very nice Gus,why dont you now make a new fishing tackle box
and then you have gone a complete circle.I have always had a love
for mixing woodwork and metalwork,

Hi Barry,

Planning to do a very small tackle box for the March 2015 Burma Bank Trip to store prepped tackles and hooks. Will have a stack of trays. I have a bad habit to hoard and current tackle box has too many items that I don't need. Now having a '' vision'' how the new tackle box will look like. The hinges and latches for the top cover must be robust.

One has to be careful when touching up the bevel ends.The sander has a very good appetite. Ate a good portion before I realised it . The last box ended shorter and narrower.:wall::hDe::rant: No problem. Gus is an easy customer.;)
Will take note for next box.

Last edited:
Gus, sorry to hear that you cannot enjoy the imports, guess I really did not need those boxes but heck for the price, you sure do good work, love that little grinder, have a couple of those little motor might be a future project, neat the way you built it, thanks for the show and tell, Lathe Nut

Reactions: gus
Gus is suffering from BoxMania. This is the last box with the soft plank stock running down to bits and pieces which are not big enough to make any more boxes.
The expensive Japanese------Kyoritsu Multimeter came in a cheapy paper box. Made a box to hold and protect Multimeter. This time got wary of the Sander eating too much length or width out the side pieces. Box a wee bitty too wide and require to have top lid is made up of two pieces glued together and plane/sand down. Joint Line is hardly seen. The hinges were fitted in and aligned.
Plan to move on to the DIY Power Feed for the mini mill. I promise-----no more timber bashing.

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

Hi Gus,the secret to making good boxes is to make a complete sealed box first
Make your sides and glue BOTH top and bottom on.Leave the lid and base slightly oversize and sand down all nice and neat.Then cut around the box
in the correct location to suit lid and box depth.Lightly plane the cut edges and fit hinges etc.Voila a perfectly formed box and lid identical in size and shape.Ive been
doing it that way for years.Works a treat,give it a try Your bandsaw should work quite well Regards Barry

Rather than a solid lid,make the sides from say 60x19 and the top and bottom
from 6/10mm ply or equivalent.Lid can be say 20mm dp and box say 40mm deep.Inside can be fitted with clips for storing other items.Just like a miniature tool box Barry

Gus, I make boxes the same way as Barry, 4 sides and the bottom and lid made from ply glued on, sand the outside and then cut the lid off with a slitting saw in my mill. This way the lids have a nice lip all around.

Paul.

Last edited:
I make boxes in a similar way. I cut a saw blade wide kerf on the inside of the sides, at the right distance down from the top, and just half way through the wood. When the box is finished outside I set the table saw to cut just below the groove I made on the inside and I have a top with a rebate groove all around. It takes some careful measurement, but makes a real nice box.

I have also made them with a slot all around that holds a sliding top panel. Then there are no hinges or other hardware.

Gus, I make boxes the same way as Barry, 4 sides and the bottom and lid made from ply glued on, sand the outside and then cut the lid off with a slitting say in my mill. This way the lids have a nice lip all around.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Good idea. Gus learning the hard way.The Japanese Cabinet makers are very good at fine details. They paved their work procedures and lead to fine finish.
Been watching them on YouTube. There are some DIY tools and Jigs to make before I get to make good instrument boxes.

Whereas impatient Gus paved his way to bad finishing and end up mess to clean up to look good. The Multimeter Box is the fifth box.I guess by the time I ever do the tenth box,it will have less goofs. Ha ha.

Today moving on to DIY Power Feed . All in the head and making sketches and building a dummy before deciding to proceed.
. A good size M.I.T. Power Feed from H&B cost A$600----700. The consolation is that its won't fit on to my mini mill and hence have to DIY same. The Sieg equivalent cost AS$200---300. Whereas mine will give hours of fun and pleasure if I made it.
Take Care. I trust GrandPa Paul is surviving.

Gus, we had our grandson all day yesterday, what a handful, and to top it off he has started toilet training. Thank goodness he still has an afternoon sleep, as we need the rest as well. It's great to have him to ourselves for the day, but we look forward to mum coming to pick him up after work.

Paul.

Gus, we had our grandson all day yesterday, what a handful, and to top it off he has started toilet training. Thank goodness he still has an afternoon sleep, as we need the rest as well. It's great to have him to ourselves for the day, but we look forward to mum coming to pick him up after work.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Am glad our Aussie grandchildren are in Glenhuntley,Melbourne and faraway.We do missed them.Tasha was a cry baby. We get to chat with Ari and Tasha thru FaceBook.Both are in school now. GrandMa Nellie is bringing along lots of Christmas gifts for both. Some bought in Japan. Gus going elswhere.
Take care. GrandPa.

Hi Gus,the secret to making good boxes is to make a complete sealed box first
Make your sides and glue BOTH top and bottom on.Leave the lid and base slightly oversize and sand down all nice and neat.Then cut around the box
in the correct location to suit lid and box depth.Lightly plane the cut edges and fit hinges etc.Voila a perfectly formed box and lid identical in size and shape.Ive been
doing it that way for years.Works a treat,give it a try Your bandsaw should work quite well Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

Been practicing hard on the bevel corner joints. ''The Stick-0n" Sanding Disc came. Check and refine alignment and squared up table with sanding chuck. Adjusted the bevel guide. And at last a perfect 45 degrees bevel joint. Inside/outside perfect 90 degrees.
Will make a case for the costly ''Made in Singapore'' Electronic Protector your way before it gets bashed in the ToolMaker's Chest.

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

Last edited:
Gus, I make boxes the same way as Barry, 4 sides and the bottom and lid made from ply glued on, sand the outside and then cut the lid off with a slitting saw in my mill. This way the lids have a nice lip all around.

Paul.

Hi Paul and Barry.

Made it the P&B way. How come I did not think about doing this way?

Make/glue the box frame, use Makita Router to recess top and bottom frame to receive top/bottom lids. I Have a problem, the Makita BandSaw throat is not high enough. Looks like the separation will be done on the mill with slitting saw. Did not go fishing today and so its carpentry time.Just can't hang around doing nothing.

IMG_2456.jpg

Congratulations Gus, the P&B way. I like it,you will just have to find something thats needs a box.When i have to make one will try the internal and external rebate method.Good for a lift off lid but dont think it would suit hinges
Merry Xmas

Latest posts

Back