DIY Tool Maker's Chest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to turn pen blanks in my metal lathe just used regular lathe bits in the tool holder.
for what gus is doing should work fine.
Tin

I used to turn pen blanks in my metal lathe just used regular lathe bits in the tool holder.
for what gus is doing should work fine.
Tin

Hi Tin.

Found the knob face length bit long,used HSS to trim wee bit off. Gave me a smooth grainy finish. Will try turning three more pieces with HSS bit.
The material is local hardwood--------Red Meranti.

Now admiring the knobs on my first ToolMaker's Chest.

How's the weather over there??? Here the N.E.Monsoon has yet to die down.January still a wet month and fishing not best. February forecasted as dry month and fishing good.

Take Care.( Now studying the Howell V-2 Prints)

Red Meranti is not ideal turning timber Gus.Turns like cast iron,dusty.
Difficult to get a good finish with turning tool.Advise-rough turn oversize
and bring down with various grades of abrasive paper.Will polish to mirror finish with fine grit 240+.Small sections of teak are ideal if you can get them

I have -somewhere- clear acrylic varnish which will soak in to mahogany like timbers such as red meranti.
It will raise the grain- because the mahoganies are cross grained timbers. Once the narnish is dead hard, remove the raised grain with fine steel wool or fine paper and recoat-- and so on.

If you were boatbuilding and creating 'bright work' you would do exactly this. Yachtvarnish, sand down, yacht varnish and so on-- until it reflects your face.

OK, there are other techniques but what I have written about will be exactly what you will get from sticking your hands in your pockets and asking anyone in a boat builders yard.

I used to use Borneo red seraya for kayak building-- when it wasn't going on to deck whale factory ships.
I even used dunnage!

Bluntly, I used to make the varnishes and marine paints.

Here's a question. How do you think that old coach builders built Rolls Royces?

Cheers

Norman

A bit chilly here -3c at the moment supposed to get colder tomorrow then warm up later in the week. Reminds me I need to get the black walnut in and drying so I can do something with it. Had a tree in my front yard planted by a squirrel. The Neighbor kids killed it. Had t take it down small about 8-10 diameter.
Tin

Reactions: gus
A bit chilly here -3c at the moment supposed to get colder tomorrow then warm up later in the week. Reminds me I need to get the black walnut in and drying so I can do something with it. Had a tree in my front yard planted by a squirrel. The Neighbor kids killed it. Had t take it down small about 8-10 diameter.
Tin

I love walnuts. The say its good for eye sight.

Went out Satruday 10 Jan. Lost a 20 pounder Ray. When you use 15 lb old line and a bad knot,what will go wrong will. Ha Ha.
Sunday,we went out landed another ray. Ray cooked in Sour Curry is really good eating. Ray used to sell for S$2 per lb and today its S$16. Too much rain and all the Snappers ran away.

I love walnuts. The say its good for eye sight.

Actually they are wonderful 'tools' BMW used to use them to polish parts of their cars.

No idea now, I'm a Mercedes and Audi( Vor sprung dung) man.Never really liked Beemers- used have the headlining as part of the roof re-inforcement.:wall:. The day I survived a 50 feet verical fall and 5 somersaults into a frozen river 500 yards away in a Merc- 2 in a BMW which had only gone half all that-died. Life is like that. Survival sharpens one's outlook!

Norman

Wood Turning Tools from Axminter,UK. Thought of doing my best in wood turning,bought tools from UK. I am going ''professional''. Had no idea they come such length--------18". Plenty of wares to turn---------drawer/door knobs, file handles etc. From here all future tools will be DIYed using HSS or Silver Steel.

IMG_2631.jpg

Morning Gus- from somewhere that is being 'going to be colder than Everest' According to the Media!

Regarding the turning tools, 18" isn't long. A good turning tool might be longer than the length of your hand, forearm and the space between the work and the hand. The longer the tool, the safer it is.

Really, you are entering the world of the bodger and his pole lathe. It's not a forgotten craft because there are lots of turners in wood and stone. It simply isn't here. People stand at machines and think that they are 'pros' and they have to get someone to sharpen their tools or go out and buy needless carbide things.

We are- after all- using ancient equipment despite the fact that it all comes bright and shiny from somewhere.

Meanwhile, back to Life in the Freezer

Norman

Morning Gus- from somewhere that is being 'going to be colder than Everest' According to the Media!

Regarding the turning tools, 18" isn't long. A good turning tool might be longer than the length of your hand, forearm and the space between the work and the hand. The longer the tool, the safer it is.

Really, you are entering the world of the bodger and his pole lathe. It's not a forgotten craft because there are lots of turners in wood and stone. It simply isn't here. People stand at machines and think that they are 'pros' and they have to get someone to sharpen their tools or go out and buy needless carbide things.

We are- after all- using ancient equipment despite the fact that it all comes bright and shiny from somewhere.

Meanwhile, back to Life in the Freezer

Norman

Hi Norman,

No worries. Spring is around the corner and summer not too faraway.

Fishing,last weekend was bad ------------one small 1/2 pounder which went back to mama. However, this coming weekend looks good.

Hi Gus, my only concern for your newfound proffession would be lack of space
and wooden swarfe.I sometimes went on to the the empty block next door,
but reducing 160 mm sq timber to a chess piece did create a lot of chips
Goldstar mentioned (varnish).I turn softwood down to near size and then put on a coat of clear sealer.This hardens the wood and stops the grain rising.
Against what Henry says i then use Sandpaper for a good finish

Hi Gus, my only concern for your newfound proffession would be lack of space
and wooden swarfe.I sometimes went on to the the empty block next door,
but reducing 160 mm sq timber to a chess piece did create a lot of chips
Goldstar mentioned (varnish).I turn softwood down to near size and then put on a coat of clear sealer.This hardens the wood and stops the grain rising.
Against what Henry says i then use Sandpaper for a good finish

Hi Barry,

True. Wood turning creates more swarfs than metal. After turning 6 Meranti Knobs, had a dust bin full to clear up. Ha Ha.:eek::rant:
Suspect it was was ''Balau'' more likely than Red Meranti. Balau is denser.Will confirm with supplier. Was 55 years since I worked on local hardwood and hence no longer familiar. Meranti,Seraya,Chengai,Teak,Kapor,Damar etc.

Hi Barry,

Next project will be no wood turning but wood bashing. Bought Electronic Kit to make a TachoMeter and this means I need a case to hold same. Will try out Tacho and post. Take care with the summer heat. My two Greek grandchildren about to burnt black like the Ozzie Abos.They love outdoors. P.S. I am tempted to turn two pieces------'' Knight''.

Hi Gus.meranti belongs to the mahogany family of hardwoods.A dozen or so fro south America to Asia and Africa.Sapele and Ilco are 2 im familiar with
Dificult to get a good turmed finish but polishes up nice with Sandpaper
Try my suggestions for the next box mitre corners.Should note a big difference

Reactions: gus
Hi Barry,
Next month in Nagoya,Japan. TokyuHands have some very hard wood. They have a woodworking and turning section. Will buy some hard wood bars. Will be suffering wood-swarf-phobia. Bought dust mask to prevent breathing in wood dust. Also look around locally for teak wood too.

Back