DIY Tool Maker's Chest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gus, it's looking great, I'm just wondering if the fuel will be able to get up to the carburettor, most tanks are mounted a bit higher to make it an easier gradient for the fuel. If it works at the height that you have it, it may pay to put in a non return valve in the fuel line.

Paul.

Hi Gus, it's looking great, I'm just wondering if the fuel will be able to get up to the carburettor, most tanks are mounted a bit higher to make it an easier gradient for the fuel. If it works at the height that you have it, it may pay to put in a non return valve in the fuel line.

Paul.

Planning to put in a Rupnow fuel check valve to prevent backflow.

Now looking for a propeller. Please advise prop O.L. Looks great with a prop as show piece but runs well with C.I.Pulley.

Putting head gasket. Valves relapped. Looks like start-up will be next week.

The fuel tank and clips came from Paul. The bending jig was a joke. If not for the well annealed brass strip,the soft wood nailed stop piece would come off.
Today will the never ending bits and pieces to mop up. Been a great fishing trip. Won't be long when the trawlers will wipe out all the fish.:(:rant:
Each fisho took home 20kg of Red Snappers etc. Only cost us S$20 per pax and this came in by cargo plane delivering very fresh fish to Singapore Fishery Wholesalers.

IMG_1929.jpg

Last edited:
Nice engine Gus How do you find the time.How many hours per day
in Singapore must be more than 24,or dont you sleep?.Further to my comment on the drawers for your mill and drill
If you move the drawers slightly apart and fit a larger single piece top
there will be room for a 3rd drawer to fill that wasted space
Just a thought. Regards barry
PS I may redo mine later hopefully to a standard as high as yours

Reactions: gus
in Singapore must be more than 24,or dont you sleep?.Further to my comment on the drawers for your mill and drill

Hi Barry,

Good Idea but big problem .No space left on the mill/drill/grinder table. Best to move to Oz and but a house with two car garage.;)

Thanks. Paul. The engine will be a conversation piece.

Thanks for all the help,advice and guidance. Not possessing the skills of Tool&Die Maker is sure tough.

During the break will be making tools and accessories. Knurling tool long overdue.

Hi Barry ,

On second thoughts, the little space/gap could be used to store recycled drills
etc etc.Will KIV.

Ssing the little space serves 2 purposes
It saves having to clean the swarfe out all the time
and gives an extra drawer.Because i did mine from odd leftover
timber it does not look nice and difficult to clean out the corners
So later will bite the bullet,buy some correct timber and make new
designed to overcome the niggles i am finding Barry

The void will be used to store old drills. Now trying to get the electronic ignition going. New trick for this old dog.;D

Poor Man's Sanding Machine
Plan DIY above. By the time of completion,will look like a poor cousin. With a 220w sewing machine motor,I don't expect too much sanding power. Most likely barely enough power to touch up mating faces of mitre joints for instrument boxes.

IMG_2217.jpg

No plans/drawings/sketch and just play by ear. Now going for 4'' instead of 5'' O.D. Sanding Disc and sander to be downsize a wee bit. Its doubtful 200 watts sewing machine motor can power 5'' sanding disc.

IMG_2233.jpg

Looking good Gus.Should be good for light finishing sanding.Much more control for smaller fine work.Big benefit if you can hinge the table.Heavy duty weldable hinges are good and cheap Regards Barry

Looking good Gus.Should be good for light finishing sanding.Much more control for smaller fine work.Big benefit if you can hinge the table.Heavy duty weldable hinges are good and cheap Regards Barry

Hi Barry,
Thanks for the input. For now trying the lazy way .

OK. The Sanding Disc is done and mounted. Motor and disc must be aligned/squared up with the sanding table. Components for table done. The
Degrees Mitre Guide has yet to be thought of.
Drilling the brass coupling makes me worried. The brass drills performed well w/o grabbing/snatching. For insurance,had the flange secured to drill the countersink/counterbore to take the cheese head sockets screws.

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Gus, I made something similar years ago for the end of my bench grinder, used it for woodwork. It's dissassembled now as I have a polishing buff in its place.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Basis sander good for metering timber ends,will go from here to end mill grinder. Small cup grinders are expensive and hard to find. By now I have a TupperWare Cup full of M.I.C. EndMills good for Aluminium.
Have gradually made switch to using quality carbide endmills and they are costly.The MIC carbide mills are so far so good. Gus now sort of taking a break doing quickie jobs. Sander is one. Power feed foor the mill may be another. Have all components on hand and some unfinished plans in the brain box.
Take care.
Christmas around the corner.
Us Grandpas will have to dig deep into our pockets for grandchildren.

Table mounted on but a wee bitty out of square with the sanding chuck. No worries. Will use paper/cardboard to shim. Mitre Angle guide is more or less thought of. Trial run most likely tommorrow and there after some window dressing. Have some instrument boxes to do next week and sander in J.I.T. aka ''just in time''. The motor is actually brand new ,given by a friend and kept for years.Hope it will spin.

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

Hi Paul
Christmas around the corner.
Us Grandpas will have to dig deep into our pockets for grandchildren.

Hi Gus, I know that you have grandchildren here in Melbourne, are there any others ? We have just had our 2 1/2 year old grandson stay for a couple of nights, his mother is overseas for 2 weeks for work and of course our son still has to go to work, so both sets of grandparents are sharing the looking after. We were sure glad to pass him on to his other grandma, it's been too long since we had to deal with temper tantrums in the shopping centre etc. the terrible two's are certainly well named.

Paul.

Hi Gus, I know that you have grandchildren here in Melbourne, are there any others ? We have just had our 2 1/2 year old grandson stay for a couple of nights, his mother is overseas for 2 weeks for work and of course our son still has to go to work, so both sets of grandparents are sharing the looking after. We were sure glad to pass him on to his other grandma, it's been too long since we had to deal with temper tantrums in the shopping centre etc. the terrible two's are certainly well named.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
I am lucky, Ari and Tasha in Glenhuntley,Melbourne. They have no expensive toys and just like GrandPa, they make their own toys. Fancy making their own Christmas trees too. They are getting proficient in making and baking cookies and short breads.

Throwing tantrums part of growing up. Their mum did it to us. And how did she manage to keep them toeing the line makes me wonder.

Hi GrandPa Paul. Was nice trading grandpa/grandchildren happenings. Ha ha.
Relax.They soon graduate to helpful ''threes''. Ha ha.

Now figuring out a good looking and effective Mitre Angle Guide. Having 1/2 dozen ideas and now zeroing to one.

Gus, you should be able to machine a shallow groove in the plate to suit a guide bar with an adjustable angle plate. How are you planning to stick the sandpaper / emery on the disk. I used a glue made for the purpose, it allowed the paper to be peeled off and replaced with a new one.

Paul.

Back