DIY Tool Maker's Chest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paul,

Good Idea.
Proxxon sells adhesive stick on sanding disc. For now may use double sided tape or contact glue for testing.
Since I am only doing very light sanding to touch up and get the mitre angle,same same disc may last quite a few box life.
Sanding Machine done. Will wire up tomorrow and test run. Might as well set and lock up mitre joint angle.
For now going for the simplest grinding guide.
Have some instrument boxes to make. The sander is just in time.
Sander cost nothing using surplus material. Motor came from a friend.

IMG_2250.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gus,my sander had 6" discs that glued on but it was a ball ache
Commercially available 7" are available for velcro fitting.Check my thread.You can glue on the the mounting pad and then change discs with ease.You can cut them down to suit if you wish but try them at 7". Regards Barry

Reactions: gus
Hi Paul and forum members.

I took the risk and used Contact Glue. Impatient thats all. Sanding Disc replacement will no fun. Reckon current disc will last many bevels before replacement. Tried buying on Ebay Adhesive Disc but they won't ship. Could complete order with Amazon either.
Finished Sander and test run OK. Its now proven,the 200 watts motor is only good for touching up after bevel cut as I suspected.
The Angle Bar need a wee bitty adjustment. The test piece bevel measured 47 degrees. Will clean up for a good foto shot.

Next week will make a case to house the expensive Taylor-Jones Reamers. Now have 1/4 3/8 1/2 Machine Reamers. M.I.C. Reamers are junks. Even the ones that came from EuroTrade.com.uk.

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

Last edited:
Trial run was good but bevel angle is 47 degrees, reset to 45.
Couldn't resist calling a day .In the last 2 hours went for triall production run. Box done with three good mitre joints and one barely acceptable. See bottom left. Hair line gap.With the bevel sander ,all future instrument cases will done within 2 hours with top lid hinged and catch fitted on. Bought timber from ''Daiso'' but planks are M.I.C.
Its weekend fiiiiiiiiishiiiiiiiiing tomorrow.

IMG_2277.jpg

Last edited:
Just a couple of comments Gus.the table should be as close to the disc as possible.Are you sanding on the up or the down side.Whats the motor rotation
CW or ACW..If velco pads are not available in your neck of the woods,i could post some over.7" Bazmak

Just another comment i forgot gus.The piece of timber really needs to move side to side to get a better and more accurate finish.You need a slot in the table
and an adjustable protractor as supplied with the el cheapo sanders

Just another comment i forgot gus.The piece of timber really needs to move side to side to get a better and more accurate finish.You need a slot in the table
and an adjustable protractor as supplied with the el cheapo sanders

Hi Barry,

Good idea but I got away feed head on but finish not best. Will do that for the
later to make good bevel. Currently the motor direction is CCW.

Came back after a not very productive fishing sesion dog-tired ,took a 15 mins nap and was charged with some energy to finish up mini tool box for the very expensive Taylor & Jones Imperial Size Machine Reamers and DoveTail Cutters accumulated .
Have no plans to Lacquer Coat as same will not be located in Grimy MachineShop.

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to nice timber gus,shame not to finish.Try a coat of cooking oil and then
finish with shoe polish.Poor mans french polish.Wipe a piece of scrap with
vegetable oil or teak oil if you have the real stuff.Wow what a difference

I agree with Bazmak, I think that it needs some sort of protection, how about a few coats of furniture wax.

Paul.

OK. Will try Barry's method and next box try Paul's .Its true w/o a protective coating,it will smudge.

Lacquering was too much work and costly and wood surface not prepped,all mini flaws shows up.

My boss is not happy with the thinner smell.

Last edited:
Done with Neutral Shoe Polish to preserve natural rubber tree wood colour. Looks slight darker than the natural. Next box will have furniture wax.

Will do device to slide sand bevel. Butt feeding not best to get best bevel mating.

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

I tend to keep french polish on hand I make my own equal parts shellac, linseed oil and alcohol. (denatured) (one could use everclear as well i suppose.
Just made a fresh batch . Do not think it is allowed shipment air freight. Shellac has gotten expensive almost $ for a half pint.
Tin

Hi gus,did you use only shoe polish.Its better to give a coat of oil to soak in and bring out the wood colour,then seal with wax polish.Try ti out on pieces of scrap.Vegetable oil works ok.As tin says shellack is one way for the experts.
The old french polishers used to mix their own.Keep us up to date with more photos etc Regards Barry

Sorry will rephrase that that to old school.I remember mixing it up
at school in woodworking class,and linseed oil etc,modern chemical et

OK. Slide Done. And Barry was right. For best result, its best to slide feed. Got the 45 on second try with my
DIY El Cheapo Protractor. Plan to put in electronic speed controller to make it user friendly. Foot Pedal Speed Controller is not advisable as it is very distracting and Gus may end up bevelling his thumb and fingers.

After this will make a box for gasket hole punch set which has to be retrieved from the so many drawers. Might as make one to hold ''brass'' drills. Carpentry is so relaxing and forgiving.

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Happen to have a fishy mate who is a very good professional carpenter. Comes from a carpenter family from China. Will seek his help on the Shellac formula.

Looking great Gus,as you say it only takes a touch for a perfect joint
Been doing it for years for 90o dowel joint,i bought the sander just for that job
but now using it more for metalwork.Next step for you is more power with a belt/disc sander.Luv your posts and photos,keep them coming

Latest posts

Back