DIY Tool Maker's Chest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Gus, the P&B way. I like it,you will just have to find something thats needs a box.When i have to make one will try the internal and external rebate method.Good for a lift off lid but dont think it would suit hinges
Merry Xmas

Hi Barry,

i did have problem fitting the hinges. Haven't done this for ages. Using the Router was another adventure. Got it right the first time.
Problem
The BandSaw has got limited throat height. The slitting saw and mill took over. Sawing this on the mill bit dicey but parting cut was neat.

Case for ''Made in Singapore & exported by UK Co."", Electronic Protractor done the P&B way. There is space for similar size instrument.
I trust the top lid won't warp!!!;)

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

Great job Gus, I clamp a parallel to the table as a backstop when I feed the box through, it will save you hitting the nut on the saw arbor.

Paul.

Wish I had your time and patients sorry, patience. I conned my Missus to donate her couple of dental cabinet boxes and implements of torture or whatever. That's 'pun'---- CON servation!

Well she did borrow my swag. Hammered the gold out of some of her extractions and cast a little gold ingot to wear.

Isn't it all fun?

Norman

Reactions: gus
Great job Gus, I clamp a parallel to the table as a backstop when I feed the box through, it will save you hitting the nut on the saw arbor.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Everything that could wrong,nearly went wrong. Manipulating work piece away from the hex nut was tough. Mini size mill makes even more tough.
Next time round will have a bar to hold work piece.

The next case will have the bevel corners and sliding cover.The Makita Router will be used to cut the slide slots.Having a bandsaw,router and bevel sander cuts all the hassle and a small box gets done in two hours.
Will do this for the Polish 2'' Outside Mike bought for S$30. Looks cheap and nasty though. Went to ''Daiso'' to stock some planks @ S$2 each.

Now working on the cork sheet ''O'' Gaskets.

Grandchildren faraway but We are in the Christmassy mood with RC Church across Gray Lane singing Carols almost every night.

Grandchildren faraway but We are in the Christmassy mood with RC Church across Gray Lane singing Carols almost every night.

Would that be the "Church of Our Lady, Queen of Peace" ?
Don't worry, haven't been there, I googled it, also checked street view, the area looks nice. 🎅

Would that be the "Church of Our Lady, Queen of Peace" ?
Don't worry, haven't been there, I googled it, also checked street view, the area looks nice. 🎅

Hi Paul,

Oh Gosh. You must have lived in Singapore??? Queen of Peace. !!!

History. Nellie was baptised here. We were married here. Monica and Adrian bapised here. Sunday schools. Both grew up drug free and graduates.

Must be very good ''FengSui'' in this area so close to the church. ha Ha Ha.

Hooray, I've kept my various homes free of post codes and so on.
One is still part of a hospital for the insane, another is next door to where a one eyed, deaf Arab abducted a village maiden( her story;)) and the other is on a Whisky Trail.
My neighbour at one is half Chinese- which means half Buddhist, I still have to find out but he drinks whisky- and is a Freemason. Where the one eyed Arab used to live is next door to a navetta( de Tudon. yes, Gus) which is an upturned boat made out of stone to bury people in. And Gus, I do NOT drink whisky, it is ALL hilariously true.

The Tool Cabinet for the mini lathe is long overdued. After 10 years, I have bought so many tools, HSS bits,tool holders and two QCTPs. Looking for any particular tool is sometimes a prolonged torture.
Here's my sketch. Apple NB is not friendly to TurboCad. Will have to but a cheapy S$800 Acer for TurboCad. Will cut travel and budget to buy a cheapy NBook.
Plan to buy cut to size plywood tomorrow to build the frame which is a ''cordless drill and Screw Driver'' Job. With the air nailer helping out. All drawers should be done by latest Dec 31st 2014.

IMG_2496.jpg

Seems to me that you have been converted from engineer to Chippy Gus
Great work keep it up.Dont drink too much in the new year
Regards barry

Seems to me that you have been converted from engineer to Chippy Gus
Great work keep it up.Dont drink too much in the new year
Regards barry

Hi Barry.

Gus out the drinking circuit long time ago.

Collected too much cutters and accessories. Other than the regularly used cutters and tools for the lathe,the ''seldom used'' hard to find. The Tool Cabinet is for the lathe tools.,
The beauty about carpentry ,we seem to get bigger jobs done fast and very forgiving. The drawers are in and waiting for the false fronts. By noon tool cabinet should 99 % done and moved next to the mini lathe.

IMG_2526.jpg

Last edited:
Considering this thread started life with an old fishing box it has become a long and interesting thread.You seem to be one of life rare interesting people Gus
I read all your threads with great interest,keep them coming

Considering this thread started life with an old fishing box it has become a long and interesting thread.You seem to be one of life rare interesting people Gus
I read all your threads with great interest,keep them coming
n

Hi Barry,

You are very kind.
Gus has to keep busy body and mind to keep Dementia away. After ten years,the balcony machineshop could do with some cabinets to store toolings and make them easily found. The balcony getting a bit cluttered . My AirCraft
Repair Manager/Son has voiced his concern for shop safety. Its true I did tripped over a power cord and nearly hit the back of head on a shoe locker.
Fortunately I did a quick flip and came out bit bruised and no head injury.
Judo training and skating helped out with the quick reflex.

Take care. HAve the last drink at home.

Tool Cabinet for mini lathe done. Drawer Knobs were borrowed from existing ToolMaker's Chest. I have five to turn and I have no 25mm Alum. Bar stock.:rant:
Will move over to machineshop shortly.:)
Thanks for watching.
Happy New Year.

IMG_2533.jpg

n

Gus has to keep busy body and mind to keep Dementia away.

Absolutely agree, far too many people retire and find that their brains retired 20 years earlier¬

So keep your bodies and minds active in 2015. -----------------------------

Or else?

Norman

After 10 years of turning out parts,Gus at long last got his lathe tools/cutters etc stored and easily retrieved. Tools/cutters/reamers/drills/tool holders/centre drills etc have their allocated bin/drawer storage.

IMG_2542.jpg

Year end resolutions done and completed.
2015 will move back to Steel Bashing. Wood Bashing done. 2014 been a great year.

Jan 2015 ,Will start on the MiniMagneto Project to power the Webster Engine now semi-retired.

Happy New Year to all HMEM Forum Members.

Happy new year Gus. Hope you dont mean it about no more wood working
Dont know how you managed without all the new storage.Bet you will find/make more. Regards Barry

Back