DIY Tool Maker's Chest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All.
Thanks to Barry aka Bazmak. Barry DIY a single drawer tool chest for his new mill. It was so good that I had to clone it. Here are the two clones.
Made one more for the Bench Drill Press. Two hours to put together and another one day to ''Lacquer'' the drawer front. Thanks for the good idea. Cutting tools & etc for mill now properly stored and easily found. Same for the drill press. Drills are now ideally stored. As usual HMEM Folks don't buy drawer knobs,we DIYed them.:cool:

With both machine tools mounted on top of tool chest 5 1/2" higher,Gus no longer have to stoop.th_wav

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

Last edited:
Gus - great job on the cabinets. I just picked up a small chest for the same purpose. I am curious to how others manage their collection of cutting tools. Your solution seems ideal!

Gus - great job on the cabinets. I just picked up a small chest for the same purpose. I am curious to how others manage their collection of cutting tools. Your solution seems ideal!

Hi Ken,

Basically we need a few hand tools only but as time passed we built up a hoard of garbage which was supposed to be useful one day and we end up cluttering the tool chest. Trying very hard not to hoard/clutter.

Wanted to buy a real traditional ''Toolmaker's Chest'' but UK and US vendors won't ship. I end up building a rather big four drawer chest. Plus a 30'' high tool cabinet to spanners,screw drivers etc etc.

Next on the list will be a mini Tool Cabinet for the mini lathe.

Gus- Here is my (hopefully) solution to drill, tap, reamer, endmill, etc storage. Measures about 18" wide x 20" deep x 13 1/2" tall. Drawers are about 1 1/4" tall.

Also, is this the type of "Toolmaker's Chest" you were trying to buy?

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 1.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: gus
The bottom Red ToolMakers Chest preferred. However the urgency is over. The DIY ToolMakers Chest will do.

Along with the Tool Cabinet, boxes to hold delicate measuring instruments will be required.
A good friend and the only guy to support my model engine building gave me a Japanese vernier depth gage which is about 20 year old and not quite antique yet. Just happened to be window shopping at Daiso-------200 yen shop and found some cheapy but well done mini wooden boxes. After getting home ,went to Daiso,Singapore and bought enough Japanese planks to make a mini box/case for the depth gage.
Done and depth gage safely contained. Will decide on colour of Lacquer coating to spray on.

Some more boxes will be done. The expensive Starrett Digital Caliper came in with a cheapy plastic box. Box will done shortly and clear Lacquered over. Same plan for the Mitutoyo Calipers. Mini hinges and clasps bought from TokyuHands.Same hard to get at home.

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

Last edited:
Your turning into a cabinet maker Gus.More wood than metal.I love it its all fun
Of my last 3 projects i could not have managed without them.Lathe collet chuck gets more use than the 3 jaw(with a full set of collets).My T slot angle plt has
numerous setups and the rct cutter gets used all the time,will make a 11/2
32 tip next and will have to buy a set of endmills

Reactions: gus
Hi Barry,

Gus gone wood crazy. Just made one more case to replace the cheapy plastic case that came with
Starrett Digital Caliper.This is about the last wooden case. Going deep sea fishing in East Malaysia. After a rest will finish up all prepping to spin the Nemett-Lynx Engine.

Was supposed to have minimum lacquer coats enough protect cover from smudging by my grimy hands but ended with glossy coat .

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Last edited:
You have done a great job,but as an expert in using all available space
i would have made the drawers for the drill and mill as one unit
with possible 3rd drawer in centre for holdins possible verniers or???
Regards barry

Nice box, but what do the labels mean? The numbers make no sense to me.

It's probably goofy to most but it works for me. I separate the tools by fraction. 2 = 1/2", 4 = 1/4", 3/4", 8 = 1/8", 3/8" 5/8", 7/8".

If I'm looking for a size, it is easier to differentiate between say, 1/8" & 3/8" than to have sizes with very little difference side by side. Of course, when you get to 64's", it doesn't work so well...

My impossible dream---------Studley Tool Chest. Seems to be a mixture of carpentry and metal working tools.Only a dream.Even if I succeed in DIYing same. Will be very hard to maintain and housekeep.

IMG_1957.jpg

Well I decide to take the easy route and bought this Chinese copy ,I looked at building my own time and cost involved prohibited that option (more time metal bashing)it was delivered next day to ordering and is now full,next problem convincing S W M B A I need another for the over flow.

image.jpg

tbox.jpg

The Chinese ToolMakers Chest looks good. Was a wise decision to buy and have more time for metal bashing.
Meanwhile I am still working out put the tools where they should be.And at the same time trying hard not to collect too much tools that I may use once in a hundred years.

I think of myself as being a tool aholic if I buy the next do dar what's it I'am bound to find it useful one day.

The only time you use that odd tool or lump of material is a
few days after you have thrown it out

True. Swear to that. I threw away a mounting clip bending jig months ago and I had to make a quicky jig knocked together with metal work and carpentry.
This is one jig I won't regret discarding as it took 5 mins to put together.The alum. disc went to scrap bin.

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back